Question Idea: Outerra engine with orbiter

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I've been thinking about this: is see about using the outerra engine for orbiter for scenery and improved graphics. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oh yes, Ive seen that before, very impressive looking. Im not sure if it is a graphics engine that could be integrated into Orbiter itself, but I know little of OVP matters anyways.
At this time, Outerra cannot be used externally. According to a thread in the Outerra forum, they aim to have an alpha version of an API/SDK ready sometime in 2014/15, so it will be a while before this is usable.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
At this time, Outerra cannot be used externally. According to a thread in the Outerra forum, they aim to have an alpha version of an API/SDK ready sometime in 2014/15, so it will be a while before this is usable.

It sounds commercial too, maybe? I get the sense that theyre going the same route as KSP did, gaining a fan base with free versions up to a point, then paid after that?

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone here ever heard of Rigs of rods? This sounds very similar to it.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I've been thinking about this: is see about using the outerra engine for orbiter for scenery and improved graphics. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

That's a great idea just start working on it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
That's a great idea just start working on it.

I think the OP isn't aware that it is not just a matter of connecting orbiter to a scenery engine and everything works because if it was that simple it would have been done.

Even when an SDK comes out the licence terms would need to be checked, the integration would need to be tested and what happens in having pretty scenery breaks the physics engine? At that point it would be a lot of wasted effort.

outerra website said:
The engine also handles complex vehicle physics and its interactions with the terrain.

Which certainly could cause the physics core of orbiter many issues.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the OP isn't aware that it is not just a matter of connecting orbiter to a scenery engine and everything works because if it was that simple it would have been done.

Even when an SDK comes out the licence terms would need to be checked, the integration would need to be tested and what happens in having pretty scenery breaks the physics engine? At that point it would be a lot of wasted effort.

But at the same time, its not completely impossible to do, just difficult. After all, he asked for it, not demanded it.

Which certainly could cause the physics core of orbiter many issues.

True, although with enough time & effort, addforce could allow us to implement just about anything. ;)

I think the license would probably bring the biggest problems with it. If this thing goes commercial, we wont have a hope of using it as a Orbiter graphics engine.