Advanced Question Hypersonic Glide

Interceptor

Reaction score
Whats the most realistic altitude for hypersonic Glide for the the XR-2 and DGIV if any, in other words. when can I shut off my RCS thrusters and just use Pitch and elevons.to glide down to the runway. Thanks:)

bradfirj92

Reaction score
I usually take 30km to be the minimum safe alt for control surfaces. Of course at very high mach factors those surfaces won't work either so be careful.

bradfirj92

Reaction score
It varies from craft to craft. Best bet is to test it and just pop back to a quicksave once you are happy.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks guys
Check your dynamic pressure in the surface MFD. Generally, about 10 kps is safe for turning off your RCS.

Don't worry too much about mach with regards to gliding at high altitudes, just keep an eye on your dynamic pressure. :)

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Hypersonic glide is good way how to get to your base without using engines if you reentered too soon and are short of your base. If you are still going some 2 - 3 km/s it`s better to glide at high altitude some 40 - 50 km to minimize air resistance and extend the glide range. That way you can glide more than 1000 km and still reach your base.