Hubble Space Telescope finds new Neptune moon

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=+2]Hubble Space Telescope finds new Neptune moon[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA, ARIAL, HELVETICA, SANS-SERIF][SIZE=-2]HUBBLE PHOTO RELEASE - SPACEFLIGHT NOW

Addon planetoïds makers, to your keyboards !! :)
[/SIZE][/FONT]

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has discovered a new moon orbiting the distant blue-green planet Neptune, the 14th known to be circling the giant planet.

15neptunemoon400285.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-3]Credit: NASA, ESA, and M. Showalter (SETI Institute)[/SIZE][/FONT]

The moon, designated S/2004 N 1, is estimated to be no more than 12 miles across, making it the smallest known moon in the Neptunian system. It is so small and dim that it is roughly 100 million times fainter than the faintest star that can be seen with the naked eye. It even escaped detection by NASA's Voyager 2 spacecraft, which flew past Neptune in 1989 and surveyed the planet's system of moons and rings.

Mark Showalter of the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif., found the moon July 1, while studying the faint arcs, or segments of rings, around Neptune. "The moons and arcs orbit very quickly, so we had to devise a way to follow their motion in order to bring out the details of the system," he said. "It's the same reason a sports photographer tracks a running athlete -- the athlete stays in focus, but the background blurs."

The method involved tracking the movement of a white dot that appears over and over again in more than 150 archival Neptune photographs taken by Hubble from 2004 to 2009.

On a whim, Showalter looked far beyond the ring segments and noticed the white dot about 65,400 miles from Neptune, located between the orbits of the Neptunian moons Larissa and Proteus. The dot is S/2004 N 1.

Showalter plotted a circular orbit for the moon, which completes one revolution around Neptune every 23 hours.

The Hubble Space Telescope is a cooperative project between NASA and the European Space Agency. NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., manages the telescope. The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Baltimore, Md., conducts Hubble science operations. STScI is operated by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy Inc., in Washington.

Orbit of the new moon (from NASA website) :

hs-2013-30-e-xlarge_web.jpg

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It seems that Hubble is in a very good month ! :thumbup:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of making an add-on...... is anyone thinking of making the large number of newly discovered satellites around the gas giants? (currently Jupiter = 67, Saturn = 62, Uranus = 27 and Neptune = 14)

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of making an add-on...... is anyone thinking of making the large number of newly discovered satellites around the gas giants? (currently Jupiter = 67, Saturn = 62, Uranus = 27 and Neptune = 14)
That would not be that hard to do modifying and adding to sol.cfg etc. Problem is the data. All the orbital elements and such. Alot is just not known about these moons. So with that in mind how to go about plugging that non-info into orbiter? How big are they? How would you go about texturing a moon without knowing what it really looks like? Sure we can speculate a rocky,crater filled,moon/planetoid type surface such as our own moon,but would that be accurate? What if it had volcanoes such as jupiter's moon Io? OMG a idea just struck me...What if a planet or moon or star for that matter could be animated in orbiter? Such as volcanoes on Io? Or Coronal loops on the sun. Wow! Similar to animating a vessel but just moons,stars,etc. I got to PM Dr. Schweiger with this idea.
Edit: Let me expand on this idea and I dont want to derail the thread just thinking out loud. What if you could set a animation on a planet,moon,star,etc? As Orbiter is right now no terrain and what not I get that. (up close not so cool looking) At a distance would look very cool. You could simulate coronal loops on stars,asteroid/meteor impacts,volcanoes,set height,width,delay,random timings,that sort of thing. Anyways Im done babbling lol

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score

Well, there is this:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3980"]Outer Planets Base 060929[/ame]

IIRC, most minor moons are just modeled as small spheres with a generic texture.

However, since the focus of Orbiter is spaceflight, I'm not sure how useful adding each and every minor moon would be. It reduces performance and makes operation of certain MFDs more difficult. They are not good landing targets. Astronomy programs like Celestia have all known moons (you may have to add the most recent yourself) if you just want to visualize them.

Edit:
Fun fact, this was discovered by the same guy that discovered Styx and Kerberos, Pan, and others.

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The planets only loads up when you are close enough, and I think it depends on the size of the mean radius. If the planet is not loaded, you see a little dot.
Same is true with vessels I think.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It just takes a little more time at startup because Orbiter has to parse the additionnal config files. But nothing nasty.

That "moon" is known to be 12 miles long, which means we have an object like Phobos/Deimos in appearance, probably made of rock and some methane ice.

Another pic I found :

Neptune_moon_2004N1_tall.jpg

And this article quote from Sky and Telescope :

According CBET 3586, issued earlier today by the IAU's Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams, S/2004 N 1 appears to be traveling in a near-circular orbit very close to Neptune's equatorial plane. Based on its positions recorded during the past 5 years, the object must circle the planet every 22h 28.1m and therefore must average 65,420 miles (105,283 km) from Neptune's center. That puts it between the small inner moons Larissa and Proteus.

Last edited: