Question How to Take off shuttle Manually.

iam_inorbit

Entered the Orbit.
Reaction score
Website
www.astrofame.blogspot.com
How to launch shuttle manually without any advanced autopilots. i have tried a tutorial but i am still unable to launch it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I reccomend starting out with the default DG. A lot easier. Once you've mastered that, move on to the shuttle.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
Launch vertically (well, there is no other way to do it), gradually decrease your pitch, when you are at about 200 km altitude adjust your pitch to hold your vertical velocity at 0. This works for me.
And remember to turn on the limited fuel option.

ripley1

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think the good way would be to watch MFD's while in the autopilot mode and try to make sense of the numbers and angles and see what the shuttle does.I helped me to learn.Also some prerecorded flights are usually good to look at.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
No, I meant 200 km. By keeping your vertical speed at 0 you assure, that you remain at the apogee during the whole burn, and you rather wouldn't like to have your apogee at 20 km.
Of course if you want to go straight for the ISS, you would want your vertical speed to remain at 0 at altitude of about 360 km.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Real Shuttle: Hold vertical speed at 100 km, and make sure you have about 50 m/s vertical speed at cutoff, when you reach your desired apogee altitude on Orbit MFD.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Avoid going vertical as much as possible and avoid holding vertical speed at any altitude. All the thrust you put into vertical is thrust you lose into nothing:

If you hover at the ground, you need to fire your engines to produce 1 g. Since you're hovering and not accelerating upwards, efficiency is 0/1. If you fire your engines to 2 g's, your efficiency goes up to 1/2. At 3 g's it's 3/4 and so on.

You can't avoid losing some energy to this effect, but you can avoid a lot by flying as low as possible (outside of the thick part of the atmosphere) and making sure you get to your MECO from below by the speed you're still carrying from before.

Another way to see this is that horizontal speed will keep you in orbit, vertical will not. Load as much energy into horizontal as possible as soon as possible and you'll have 0 loss of energy for increasing your altitude.

iam_inorbit

Entered the Orbit.
Reaction score
Website
www.astrofame.blogspot.com
I Have got some numbers. to a sucessful launch. Tell me if its right.

it says: launch shuttle/ after clearing tower your pitch should be 89 degree Forward, Bank left, yaw 90 degree.

keep heading 90 d, bank 0 d, climb until VS=700 m/s. After this Pitch down aprox !5 degree. Your goal is 1000 m/s VS.

After SRB sep hold VACC =8 m/s. pitch= 21 d, heading=90 d, bank= 0 d.

Pitch up now, aprox 45 d after alt 130 to 150 km. pitch= 55 d Now acc time= 10x

After ET cutoff TURN, Pitch 1 d, Heading= 118 Now prograde Acc=100x (ORBIT EARTH NOW)

Is it correct, i am getting problem when i prograde. how to hold banking, heading, VS and VACC.

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
May I suggest an alternative approach that I use to launch the default shuttle.

If you download the GPC MFD at Orbit Hangar and activate the OPS 1 Ascent program you will see the required shuttle pitch at your current altitude (yellow triangle). It should look like this:

gpcops1tq1.png

I hope this helps. Ask if you don't understand something! ;)

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Download the most recent Shuttle Fleet version (4.1.5) and you will find the GPC MFD manual contained in the Add-on Docs folder. ;)

-Pv-

Reaction score
If you go to Orbiter Mods site (or the Orbiter Mods update list on this site) an updated manual for the GPCMFD is available. This manual gets installed automatically inside your Orbiter installation when you install Shuttle Fleet and/or GPCMFD.

I suggest loading the GPCMFD, selecting the LAUNCH screen and issuing item 777. The autopilot will launch you into an INITIAL orbit (which needs some small adjustments a little while later. It's important for those new to the Space Shuttle and Orbiter to watch a launch or two and see how it's done. When you think you fully understand the process, THEN launch manually and try to duplicate the attitudes, altitudes, pitch, direction and power levels you saw in the automated process.
-Pv-

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are you just orienting prograde (=point the spacecraft in that direction) or do you also propel the spacecraft prograde? (= accelerate in prograde direction)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
whenever i launch shuttle in orbit; As soon as i Prograde and acc time to 10x or 100x Shuttle starts falling, ALT starts falling down. how to Prograde.

You need to circularize your orbit, which requires a second burn (called an OMS-2 burn) on the other side of the planet from your launch site.

I know you're ignoring all of us when we say this, but you really need to learn how to get into orbit with the Delta-Glider before trying to use the space shuttle, so you can understand the basic concepts involved.