how to build a rocket?

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
hi im interested in building a model rocket to launch.
i have about 20pounds spending limit, im pretty young so can the text be simple :)
any kind of tutorial accepted
thanks

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Don't do it AT ALL. Backyard rocketry is highly dangerous. When you are older find a group to join and learn with them.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Buy a kit. Don't do anything else 'homebrew-style' until you have played with kits. Otherwise you end up running the risk of losing your eyebrows/face/life. PLEASE.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I wouldn't try making them you're self.. they can be very dangerous if something goes wrong

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Just a point of view here - a lot of the people on the forum are very knowledgeable and have dealt with a lot of this type of question before. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "build a rocket", but this can be interpreted in one of two ways:

1: You want to build a rocket from tubes of paper, raw chemicals and glue. This is incredibly dangerous and this is what people are warning against.

2: You want to build a rocket from kits, parts of home-rocket supplies and (most importantly) commercially available rocket motors (like Estes). This is FINE and done all the time. I takes care the further you get away from a kit rocket, but will have very little risk to your face unless you point it at yourself at launch.

In short, rocketry is fun and very dangerous. buying the dangerous stuff from commercial vendors is safe as they have done all the safety stuff so you don't have to worry about it yourself.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

I should probably add another point to this. I have an A in Chemistry A-Level. I took a further Chemistry class at university for the sheer fun of it, so I know the theoritical stuff. I have 'experimented' before with Thermite, gunpowder, atomised-particle explosions and a lot of other stuff that most people wouldn't want go near. I have yet to try amateur rockets using my own homemade fuels because they scare me. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do this, as I'm a strong proponent for experimentation to see if they work and learning through mistakes (and the Darwin awards), but if you're doing thing as dangerous as these, take baby steps and learn SLOWLY until you really REALLY KNOW what you are doing.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
i have about 20pounds spending limit,

Not only is that dangerous, it could be illegal, especially if you are around an airport ;).

For one, this is what 22 pounds of kno3 does;

Second depending on your ISP and burn time 20 pounds could produce enough thrust to be classified as H or above.

For example, in the United States, high-powered motors (above 160 newton seconds) are restricted to citizens who possess the requisite certification.
Amateur_rocket_motor_classification

Don't do it until you join NAR or Tripoli and have experienced licensed professionals observing.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Not only is that dangerous, it could be illegal, especially if you are around an airport ;).

For one, this is what 22 pounds of kno3 does;

I think he's saying that he has a spending limit of 20 pounds *Sterling*.

In any case, @guitarist, it would be advisable to get your introduction into rocketry under the guidance of an experienced and responsible adult.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"Pounds" in this case are units of currency.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, buy a kit. Safe and cheap.

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
ok
anyone no of a good kit in that price range
thanks for all your replys aswell :)
oh and yeah i did mean 20pounds asin currency, my pound sign doesnt work, sorry

Last edited:

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
Of course there are. But they're not running presidency. :lol:

For the rocket you need to follow 3 rules of thumb:

1-Get enough space (a football field for example).

2-Work with one hand at the time... wait... that's for electrokinetic apparatus! Anyway, is a good way to only lose 5 fingers instead of 10.

3-Expand these 3 rules of thumb with Asimov's Laws (just take the "robot" out and put the "rocket" instead.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
3-Expand these 3 rules of thumb with Asimov's Laws (just take the "robot" out and put the "rocket" instead.

I think maybe you should adapt the 4 Gun Rules, this way:

1 - A rocket must always be considered primed and ready for lift off and treated as such

2 - Do not point either the point end and the engine end of the rocket at anything you do not wish to destroy

3 - As long as you don't have the rocket on its pad, a clear trajectory and a clear safety zone, keep your fingers away from the ignition device

4 - be aware of the lift off area surroundings, the rocket trajectory and what lies beneath and at the end of it.

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My advise, as someone who has been doing this for years, and is in fact packing to go to a National Association of Rocketry regional competition just this moment, is to forget asking your question here, and instead go here:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/

Where people actually know what they are talking about.

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
I suggest you to learn how to project real rockets, but just in Orbiter simulation