Question How do you pronounce 'Hohmann' in your language?

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I've always pronounced 'Hohmann' in Russian as 'Хохман' which is the exact spelling of 'Hohmann' if you read it letter by letter. My confusion was great when I found that it's generally accepted to be pronounced in Russian as 'Гоман' ('Goman') :blink: Is it the correct way to pronounce 'Hohmann' in other languages too or is it just another case of Russian language mutilating foreign words? How do you pronounce it in your language?

I'm interested in German specifically, but English pronounciation is of interest for me too. All other languages are welcome too.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the proper pronunciation, but I usually say 'Hoffman'.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In German, it is pronouced as "Hohmann"... which means, a long vocal o (second h is silent) and a short "a" (because of the double "n"). Basically the concat of "Hoh" and "Mann". And "Mann" is not spoken like man, which has the same meaning in English, but the a is spoken like in bath.

Last edited:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I usually pronounce it "How-men". But based on what I've seen above, my pronunciation is horribly incorrect. :lol

SE

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
actually, for some English speakers, the the a in bath is still pronounced as ae

Perhaps I'll try to elaborate more the English transliteration of the German pronounciation of Hohmann

the o in Hoh is spelled as the o in Horn and ended with deep H, and the a in Mann as the u in Much ended with deep n.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
actually, for some English speakers, the the a in bath is still pronounced as ae

Damn... you are right. My fault, one more reason why German school English is not making you fit for life.

I meant the IPA "mɑn"

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
As george7378, probably through exposure to Hohhmeister at an early age(me, not george7378).

N.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I've always pronounced Hohmann as hoe-men.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
The "H" letter is silent in portuguese, but here in southern Brazil we usually pronounce german words in a german way (like martins first example) due to a large german-brazilian community. It wouldn't be unusual northern brazillians pronouncing "oman".

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Ernst Mach is another name that tends to cause problems for English speakers (at least those without a working knowledge of Klingon).

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The "H" letter is silent in portuguese, but here in southern Brazil we usually pronounce german words in a german way (like martins first example) due to a large german-brazilian community. It wouldn't be unusual northern brazillians pronouncing "oman".
Strictly, H is silent, but many of the people I asked did pronounce the first H correctly. Mostly due to influence of the English language in Brazilian society, I guess. What varied most was the tempo - some stressed the O, some stressed the A.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I used to say "Hoffman", but I have changed to "Hoe-men"

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Strictly, H is silent, but many of the people I asked did pronounce the first H correctly. Mostly due to influence of the English language in Brazilian society, I guess. What varied most was the tempo - some stressed the O, some stressed the A.

English influence is a good (and probably right) explanation outside the "colônias". :thumbup:

But depends on cultural background. It's natural in big cosmopolitan cities like São Paulo, but in far Amazon is less probable.

I like how Brazil is big and diverse. :)

Last edited:

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Similar is Kutta:

Where I went to school and worked (Northwest, USA), amongst working engineers, in aerodynamics it is always the "KOO-tah Condition". (Proper German pronunciation.)

However, it seemed most often to be the RUNG-gah - CUT-tah (Runge-Kutta) family of integration methods.

Same guy, different application - different common pronunciation. Wierd. And why does Herr Runge get proper German pronunciation but Herr Kutta doesn't?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I studied Russian for a few semesters in university. My understanding that there was an accent or dialect of Russian that tended to pronounce 'h' as a 'g'? Our instructor at the time said Boris Yeltsin had this particular accent and that it made him sound a bit like what in America would be called a "hick" (a mildly derogatory term for a country boy).

I'm afraid my Russian skills have eroded badly over the years. Can any native Russian speakers comment on this? I'm curious.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I've always pronounced 'Hohmann' in Russian as 'Хохман' which is the exact spelling of 'Hohmann' if you read it letter by letter.

Not exactly. "Хохман" would be more equivalent to "Chochmann" in German.

My confusion was great when I found that it's generally accepted to be pronounced in Russian as 'Гоман' ('Goman') :blink: Is it the correct way to pronounce 'Hohmann' in other languages too or is it just another case of Russian language mutilating foreign words?

A bit of both. Russian doesn't have the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_glottal_fricative"]sound[/ame] represented by "h" in English, German, etc, so a lot of early loanwords from those languages were spelled with "г", because that's apparently what the Russians of the time thought was the closest sound in Russian to the /h/ they heard in English/German/whatever. More recent loanwords tend to be borrowed with "х" (which certainly sounds more like /h/ to English speakers than "г" does, and given that English doesn't have the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_velar_fricative"]sound[/ame] represented by Russian "х" or German "ch", you don't even have to worry about an English speaker confusing [h] and [x]).

Neither German nor English pronounces "h" when it has a vowel before it and a consonant after it, as in "Hohmann", so "Hohmann" could be transcribed in Russian as either "Гоман" or "Хоман". (Also, in German, an h following a vowel tends to indicate vowel length, so you could even transcribe it "Хооман").

In IPA, the German pronunciation is /hoːman/.

The English pronunciation (my dialect) is /homɪn/ (speaking quickly) or /homæn/ (speaking slowly), though most English speakers would probably say /homən/ for the fast-speech form. /o/ in English is generally more exactly pronounced as [əʊ] or [oʊ], so in the end you'll get something like [həʊmən] or [həʊmæn].

Note: In discussing pronunciations, linguists tend to use quote marks (eg, "may") to talk about how something is written in a language, slashes (eg, /me/) to talk about the sounds that native speakers perceive, and brackets (eg, [mɛɪ]) to talk about the details of the actual sounds that are produced in an utterance.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
/hœmæn/

Not exactly. "Хохман" would be more equivalent to "Chochmann" in German.

A bit of both. Russian doesn't have the sound represented by "h" in English, German, etc, so a lot of early loanwords from those languages were spelled with "г", because that's apparently what the Russians of the time thought was the closest sound in Russian to the /h/ they heard in English/German/whatever. More recent loanwords tend to be borrowed with "х" (which certainly sounds more like /h/ to English speakers than "г" does, and given that English doesn't have the sound represented by Russian "х" or German "ch", you don't even have to worry about an English speaker confusing [h] and [x]).

Neither German nor English pronounces "h" when it has a vowel before it and a consonant after it, as in "Hohmann", so "Hohmann" could be transcribed in Russian as either "Гоман" or "Хоман". (Also, in German, an h following a vowel tends to indicate vowel length, so you could even transcribe it "Хооман").

In IPA, the German pronunciation is /hoːman/.

The English pronunciation (my dialect) is /homɪn/ (speaking quickly) or /homæn/ (speaking slowly), though most English speakers would probably say /homən/ for the fast-speech form. /o/ in English is generally more exactly pronounced as [əʊ] or [oʊ], so in the end you'll get something like [həʊmən] or [həʊmæn].

Note: In discussing pronunciations, linguists tend to use quote marks (eg, "may") to talk about how something is written in a language, slashes (eg, /me/) to talk about the sounds that native speakers perceive, and brackets (eg, [mɛɪ]) to talk about the details of the actual sounds that are produced in an utterance.

You are aptly named.

Last edited: