Higher Education Experience

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
What is everyone's higher education experience on here?

Personally, I just started working on my B.S. in Physics back in August at Colorado State University. I'm starting to really consider adding a few classes so I can also get a degree in Mathematics. I don't have the strongest interest in the subject, but it would not be a tremendous amount of extra work so there isn't a very good reason for me not to.

After graduating I'm gonna aim for a PhD in Physics or Atmospheric Science. If I graduate with too low a GPA I will probably get an engineering Masters degree.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm doing physics with astronomy, currently on for a 4 year degree (MPhys) but I may well do the 3 years and forget the masters bit.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I went to Heartbreak Ridge.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I went to the school to be b@da$$. now I'm 100% state of the B@dA$$ art.--sorry had to I don't even care about the modz. it's from aliens and if you can't get it ahh well...my bad.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

at least I didn't finish the quote.

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
my undergraduate diploma in the social sciences makes lousy toilet paper. i got half way through a degree in philosophy. i mostly learnt i'm not the kind of person whose mental health benifits from sitting around in rooms questioning EVERYTHING.

i think schools and parents should be a little more cautious of rushing kids into uni, alot of people end up going with no definite plan, often it ends up being a really expensive waste of time! i think now with a decade of work under my belt i'm more focused and am thinking about going back to do something more relevant to the kind of work i'm actually interested in.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm currently at the University of Waterloo, technically a general science student, but for all intents and purposes taking Geophysics. (hopefully official after this semester). My dream would be to study Planetary science, but that's a long way off for me right now. I mostly concentrate on trying to survive each week, then go from there. :lol:

Keatah

Reaction score
my undergraduate diploma in the social sciences makes lousy toilet paper. i got half way through a degree in philosophy. i mostly learnt i'm not the kind of person whose mental health benifits from sitting around in rooms questioning EVERYTHING.

i think schools and parents should be a little more cautious of rushing kids into uni, alot of people end up going with no definite plan, often it ends up being a really expensive waste of time!

The same thing applies to sports and gym class. You can mess up a kid (whose temperament is on the quiet side) by forcing them to play in contact sports.

Like parents rushing kids into UNI, making them play sports they are not good at is quite damaging. Let the kid pick the activity he/she is interested in.

Some kids have a psyche better suited to weight lifting, or golf, volleyball, or maybe track'n'field, or archery. A psyche that is quite different than what is required for an aggressive contact sport, like football (or baseball or hockey).

Remember the kid that was always picked last? Always picked for "left out" in baseball? Ha! That's the one going to suffer because of parents and teachers being unaware and not taking time to make sure the right sports are being engaged. Being forced into that type of situation does nothing but set-U-up for depression and failure.

I typed this ultra-fast, hope it makes sense.

sitha241

Reaction score
I finished 3 years of physics than decided that I dont want to leave country to work in my field and teaching in highschool was not an option, and now I enroled in electrical engineering since I already work student job repairing mobile phones and computers.. :cool:

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
I am currently studying in Mechanical Engineering. After that I plan to do a Master in Aerospace Engineering in the US (if possible).

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Started out on a path to mechanical or aerospace engineering, then switched to fine art and got a Bachelor of Fine Art with a focus in oil painting and drawing, then I wrote a math book while working at a secondary school and somehow ended up being a government watershed scientist... So....yeah