Advanced Question Help on making a pop window like for RMS arm

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I need help on making a Pop out Window like for the RMS Arm. I have several add ons that use Robotic arms. I use keyboard commands but would like to have a pop out window so the arm movement can be controlled via a window.

I have 2008 Express.

So is there a tutorial for this?
Thanks

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Such an addition to the SSRMS would be tremendously helpful. Or and of the SC3 based arms out there.

Interceptor

Reaction score
I need help on making a Pop out Window like for the RMS Arm. I have several add ons that use Robotic arms. I use keyboard commands but would like to have a pop out window so the arm movement can be controlled via a window.

I have 2008 Express.

So is there a tutorial for this?
Thanks
You could ask fred18,I think he has been working on stuff like that lately.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you use VS2008 Express to make a Dialogue box? From what I have seen it needs resources

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can you use VS2008 Express to make a Dialogue box? From what I have seen it needs resources

Yes, you can... but you need additional tools. The tool chain of the express version can actually handle the resources, but you lack the editor and resource compiler.

It is a lot simpler with a professional version of VS, if you can get one.

Also, you need knowledge of the low-level Windows API for programming, which is quite rare now and not as well documented as the newer Windows Forms.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I guess the 2010 express version is the same. Are there other compilers (free) that have the editor and resource compiler

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So I guess the 2010 express version is the same. Are there other compilers (free) that have the editor and resource compiler

http://www.resedit.net/

Most of the important tools are part of the Platform SDK of Windows, if your express version only contains a limited one, you just need to download the full platform SDK and install it.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I got it. Not sure which SDK platform to get. I am running VISTA.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Windows (Platform) SDK is already included with the Express edition since 2008 or 2010 edition.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, No idea where it gets extracted? I guess int he C:\Windows folder.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
"%ProgramFiles(86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows"
"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows"

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This might be a good place to start. Using Visual C++ 2010 Express, it starts with the standard "Hello World" app in the first video but further videos add other elements.

Check out the AtlantisConfig folder in the Orbiter SDK. It's for the launchpad dialog box for configuring Atlantis' textures and mesh resolution, but it'll give you a little bit of an idea as well. Also check out the Scenario Editor files.

Last edited:

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know if you are a student, but if it's the case, check if your university is a member of Microsoft's DreamSpark program. With DreamSpark, you can freely download a full version of Visual Studio (and many more products such as Windows Server 2012 et Windows 8.1 Pro). I have Visual Studio Ultimate on my computer because of this program.

You can check here for the program : https://www.dreamspark.com/

If your university is not listed on Microsoft's website, check with the IT team of your university. My school (it's a cégep, not a university because we have a different school system here in Québec) wasn't listed on Microsoft's website, but it was part of the program.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I don't know if you are a student, but if it's the case, check if your university is a member of Microsoft's DreamSpark program. With DreamSpark, you can freely download a full version of Visual Studio (and many more products such as Windows Server 2012 et Windows 8.1 Pro). I have Visual Studio Ultimate on my computer because of this program.

You can check here for the program : https://www.dreamspark.com/

If your university is not listed on Microsoft's website, check with the IT team of your university. My school (it's a cégep, not a university because we have a different school system here in Québec) wasn't listed on Microsoft's website, but it was part of the program.

Hey...thanks He is not online but I will send him a msg now to let him know.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I work at a College that is listed. Going to check about getting VS2010 professional

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I do. dcccd.edu But there is some sign in. I need to check with someone about it.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You create a new DreamSpark account with your .edu email. Then, it will have you verify that you are a student/teacher, just re-enter your .edu email. After you are verified, you can download the free stuff!

I would personally get VS 2013 Pro through Dreamspark, that's what I did.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would personally get VS 2013 Pro through Dreamspark, that's what I did.

Same here... which meant that I have the 550€ now extra in my royal budget for buying a nice bicycle.