Help Getting Around a Basic Simpit Problem

Tchail

Reaction score
I've been looking at creating a control panel for the Delta Glider, but it didn't take me long to run into a fundamental problem:

How do you convert the output from a switch, which is continuously on, to the momentary signal needed to replicate a keyboard press?

I've found one site that suggests using a relay along with a capacitor to "block" the signal from the switch after it has been flipped.

https://electronics.stackexchange.c...mentary-switch-using-a-transistor-and-capacit

This seems like such a fundamental issue that I imagine it has been dealt with before.

With numerous toggles, rotating selector switches, and slide switches, needed for the Delta Glider, I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

-Tom

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've been looking at creating a control panel for the Delta Glider, but it didn't take me long to run into a fundamental problem:

How do you convert the output from a switch, which is continuously on, to the momentary signal needed to replicate a keyboard press?

I've found one site that suggests using a relay along with a capacitor to "block" the signal from the switch after it has been flipped.

https://electronics.stackexchange.c...mentary-switch-using-a-transistor-and-capacit

This seems like such a fundamental issue that I imagine it has been dealt with before.

With numerous toggles, rotating selector switches, and slide switches, needed for the Delta Glider, I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

-Tom

I think most switch boxes use a small micro-controller to convert GPIO signals to a serial keyboard protocol. The link you posted yourself in the previous thread about your project contains detailed information about how to do it with an Arduino :idk: .

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think most switch boxes use a small micro-controller to convert GPIO signals to a serial keyboard protocol.
An easy ready-to-use option is the I-PAC. I once used it to quickly make a hardware keyboard for a DSYK project.

The link you posted yourself in the previous thread about your project contains detailed information about how to do it with an Arduino :idk: .
If you like a bit more control (or fanciness) I would vote for an micro-controller based approach. You could make one box receive lots of keys/switches and also drive -for example- an analog meter or lights (LEDs). Daisy-chaining those, your number of switches / indicators becomes practically infinite.
Arduino like boards also have the advantage that you don't have to think about extra power supply (as long as you only need switches and LEDs or drive only low power outputs like low current draining meters).
The downside is of course that you have to program that micro-controller too (not that hard when you've got a little C experience)