Hello there!

Guinart

Reaction score
My name is Edgar Guinart, and I´m new here. However, I had been developing aircraft models (mostly freewares) for Flight Simulators for more that 20 years. So was thinking is time for me to enter in this fascinating world of space travels, and this is the first step :)
Off course I have some experience in 3D modelling but I do not know anything about what is needed to build compatible models for this simulator. So I need to learn a LOT of thing before I can contribute with this effort.
Thanks to all involved developers of this project for this great opportunity they offer to us!
Sincerely,
edgar

Owenmck

Read the documentation!
Reaction score
General Kenobi!

Sorry, force of habit.
Welcome to the forum! Orbiter uses a custom mesh format called .msh. There are some tools for Blender, they should be somewhere on Orbit-Hangar, the hosting website for almost all Orbiter mods.
:)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As someone with extensive experience with making 3D models for Orbiter, the only real difference is in that multi-materials are a no-no and that animations are handled by Orbiter, so you don't need to set anything up in the 3D model other than making sure that each element you want animate is its own separate meshgroup.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome ! More aircraft models would really be a cool thing ! Orbiter itself has limits but Jarmonik's D3D9 client really allows great rendering ! (y)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Welcome ! More aircraft models would really be a cool thing ! Orbiter itself has limits but Jarmonik's D3D9 client really allows great rendering ! (y)
It really does. And it allows for higher than Full HD (1920x1080) resolutions. It can be found here: http://users.kymp.net/~p501474a/D3D9Client/
To get the latest version, don't click Download button but rather scroll down a bit and grab the latest version from the list (currently that is R4.22, dated 31 May 2021)

Guinart

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the warm welcome! And thanks for advanced tips too! As in FS development I can feel this will be a veeeeery long trip for me... And I have this "bad" feeling of putting my self out of my confort zone... 20 years can forge deep habits. :) I uses the old but still useful Gmax (What!??? Yes, I know... full of bugs and limitations, but an old companion :) I have installed the Blender, but I have not experience on it... more to learn :)
So, the first will be installing the Orbiter, check the things inside, the structure, trying to understand how it works, then... We will see :)
By the way, about animations. In previous 2006 flight simulators many animations (rotational ones) are handled by the program... things like wheels, props, control surfaces, and on, just need the proper AXIS in the 3D object and degrees of limitation in the config files... very confortable method IMO, saving lots of time of modeling.
Good to be here!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well the good news is that there are addons that handle animations (provide a GUI), like VesselBuilder. Now Orbiter does handle animations, of course, but if you want to do it yourself you have to code them into .dll files. Which allows to do really anything, there's really no limits to your creativity. The downside is that you have to get a bit familiar with Visual Studio and C++. I did it myself and I had no computer science background at all, and I was terrible at maths. I studied philosophy, I work with books and words (ok, also OpenOffice and a Web browser !), and addons are purely a hobby for me. So if you have the will, are a bit organized, that's only a matter of time. (y)