Reaction score
DSC08246.JPG

Intel I7 3770K
GeForce GTX 680 running at 1058 MHz and 2 GB of RAM
2x4 GB of 1600 MHz RAM
120 GB Solid State Drive with a read and write speed at around 500 MB/s
1 TB HD with 64 MB cache
ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3 motherboard

It is a BEAST. Running Skyrim, the CPU load is about 25%.
Windows 7 boots in 7 seconds, along with AVG, various messengers, Skype...
Stock Orbiter install loads within 1 second.
VisualC++ loads instantly. Compiling OBSP takes a few seconds instead of the usual 30 to 40.

There's one downside. The CPU gets extremely hot. If run at 100% power, it reaches its highest safe operating temperature of 105°C within 30 seconds and idles at 50°C. For that, I've ordered water cooling for CPU to replace the stock Intel heat sink.

I am now a very happy RisingFury.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's one downside. The CPU gets extremely hot. If run at 100% power, it reaches its highest safe operating temperature of 105°C within 30 seconds and idles at 50°C.

Ah, don't I know that problem... sometimes it already pays to get a better paste than the one that comes glued to the CPU by default. Also, I'd have gone for a good ventilator with a copper heatsink before water cooling, but that's just because water in PC makes me nervous...

Also, the heatflow in the case looks somewhat problematic, but that depends on where the fans on the case covering are mounted (if there are any. Otherwise, arrrrgh!). Apart from the cables potentially blocking the flow behind the GPU, is it just the picture or is the PSU indeed mounted in the bottom?

Still, one hell of a beast. I've got to get one of those SSDs these days... While every part of my Rig has been replaced and replaced over time, my HDDs are still the same since... when was that? hell, the oldest must have a decade at least!

Also, what does happy fury feel like? :lol:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
jedidia;bt4520 said:
Ah, don't I know that problem... sometimes it already pays to get a better paste than the one that comes glued to the CPU by default. Also, I'd have gone for a good ventilator with a copper heatsink before water cooling, but that's just because water in PC makes me nervous...

Also, the heatflow in the case looks somewhat problematic, but that depends on where the fans on the case covering are mounted (if there are any. Otherwise, arrrrgh!). Apart from the cables potentially blocking the flow behind the GPU, is it just the picture or is the PSU indeed mounted in the bottom?

Still, one hell of a beast. I've got to get one of those SSDs these days... While every part of my Rig has been replaced and replaced over time, my HDDs are still the same since... when was that? hell, the oldest must have a decade at least!

Also, what does happy fury feel like? :lol:

The "water" cooling I ordered uses a non conductive, non corrosive liquid, so even in the case of a spill, damage is minimized. The bottom of the heat transfer unit has copper on it. I knew copper was much better then aluminium, but it'll also give me the extra cooling power of liquid cooling.

Airflow in the case seems fine. The graphics card has three fans on it, so I'm confident it'll keep cool and the CPU will get its liquid cooling, so I think that'll be fine as well.

Artlav;bt4521 said:
Meh, why not OCZ's RevoDrive 3 X2?
http://techreport.com/articles.x/22663
It can do 1.5 Gb/s, while having 240Gb of space.

Because it was way outside my price range. I got my SSD for like 100€, the one you mentioned is 500€.

The overall price tag including the liquid cooling was 1600€.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Izack;bt4523 said:
I'm so envious!! :)

Well, my previous machine is 7 years old and had trouble running YouTube. I've had the money for a computer saved up for years, but never had the chance to buy.

Slovenia has abnormally high prices of computer parts, about 10-20% higher than the rest of Europe and usually not even the parts I wanted. I would have to drive to north Austria to buy, but recently found a Slovenian store that had good prices and parts.

For Americans, I'd recommend NewEgg...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I just installed CPU liquid cooling into my computer and I must say I'm amazed!

The one I got was Antec cooler H2O 620 and I must say it works WONDERS.

antec_h20_620_001.jpg

Idling temperatures have been reduced from about 55°C - 60°C to about 30°C and I'm running a full power CPU test right now. I couldn't do that before, because the CPU exceeded its maximum safe operating temperature at 105°C, but now the CPU is running at about 55°C to 60°C.

I now have 100% confidence in my computer and it's computing power.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
RisingFury;bt4526 said:
Well, I just installed CPU liquid cooling into my computer and I must say I'm amazed!
Nice.
How is it for noise and maintenance?
Where does the radiator go?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Artlav;bt4530 said:
Nice.
How is it for noise and maintenance?
Where does the radiator go?

The cooling I have has a 120 mm fan, which you fit to one of the openings on the case. Except for cleaning dust off the heat exchanger, there is no maintenance required. It's a completely closed loop and was already assembled in the box. You don't have to refill the liquid over time.

As for noise, it's louder than the stock fan, but not bad. Quieter than my previous computer.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Now that's a nice rig. I am suitably jealous.

My partner just keeps shouting "No" across the room to me. I think this means, no, you may not spend £2000 on a new computer just to one-up risingfury, no no no...

I still want to though. :(

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Xyon;bt4533 said:
Now that's a nice rig. I am suitably jealous.

My partner just keeps shouting "No" across the room to me. I think this means, no, you may not spend £2000 on a new computer just to one-up risingfury, no no no...

I still want to though. :(

To make you feel even worse... I spent years saving my money so I had enough to buy, but then at the last minute, my grandparents found out I was buying a computer and contributed almost 2/3 of the cost.

So maybe go wink to your grandma :p

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The pictures on this blog really should be censored. :embarrassed: