General Question HasElements = FALSE

cristiapi

Reaction score
OrbiterConfig.pdf page 7: "If TRUE, the initial position/velocity is calculated from the provided set of orbital elements, otherwise from an explicit position/velocity pair (ignored if module supports position/velocity calculation)"; please, could somebody tell me how to write an explicit position/velocity pair?

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking.

I've actually written code for deriving elements from a postion/velocity pair and can share it if you like but where does the Boolean come in?

Last edited:

cristiapi

Reaction score
The paper "OrbiterConfig.pdf" is distributed with both Orbiter 2010 and 2016. I'm referring to the page 7 for Orbiter 2010 and to the page 9 for Orbiter 2016 distribution where it is said that if HasElements = TRUE, the initial position/velocity of the celestial body is calculated from the provided set of orbital elements, otherwise (HasElements = FALSE) the initial position/velocity of the celestial body is read from an explicit position/velocity pair.

If I correctly understand the table "General parameters", when EllipticOrbit = FALSE and HasElements = FALSE, Orbiter "dynamically" updates the celestial body position/velocity starting from an explicit position/velocity pair (I guess that "dynamically updates" is equivalent to "numerically integrates").
My question is: where and how should I write that explicit position/velocity pair?
For "where" I suppose that is the Config\<body_name>.cfg file, but how?