Google starts censoring autocomplete and instant

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't get the problem, you can still search for them, you'll just have to type it out and press enter.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, it won't last long, or Google won't last long.
There are other search engines that are quite capable.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I don't get the problem, you can still search for them, you'll just have to type it out and press enter.
But what if they start censoring the results?

Move to Bing...

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

For now. The precedent this decision sets, however, suggests that Google are caving to corporate pressures various. It wouldn't surprise me if, in a few years, those terms are excluded from search results as well.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Google already showed it will censor for the highest bidder — China Inc. springs to mind. Now it’s doing it for MPAA & Co.,” King told TorrentFreak.

“I guess it’s simple: our favorite search monopoly cares less about helping the thousands of independent creators who use BitTorrent to distribute legal, free-to-share content than they do about protecting the interests of Big Media in its death throes.”

Indeed, Google is going down the wrong path by willingly and broadly censoring its services to please a few big companies. This is not the way to get rid of piracy, it’s the way to a corporate controlled Internet. Google may have been proud to leave China because of its political censorship, but it should be ashamed of promoting commercial censorship worldwide.

Okay time to consider other search engines.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Carmen A said:
This is not the way to get rid of piracy,
This is the way to more piracy. No one is pirating Ubuntu, but who has actually bought a Windows license? The less freedom there is, the more piracy there is.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
This is the way to more piracy. No one is pirating Ubuntu, but who has actually bought a Windows license? The less freedom there is, the more piracy there is.

Sorry, Maybe I am missing the point but you are saying that by removing one mechanism to piracy you are actually forcing people to pirate and that people who search for torrents via google aren't going to use them?

Google are a corporate entity. It's up to them how they conduct business. If they so choose to exclude torrents then they can do that. If you so choose to not use them, well, there are others out there. Consumer choice.

If you want to download a legal torrent, e.g. unbuntu it doesn't take a rocket scientist to type 'unbuntu' into Google, go to the home page, download, torrent, done.

I think Google is making the right decision here. As a big company they are one of the few who can make an impact on piracy. They can also save themselves money by not having to scale up hardware to meet the demands of those who are using it just for illegal file sharing sites.

Good on Google.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
but who has actually bought a Windows license?
Me. :facepalm:

Personally I don't think that censoring BitTorrent and other torrent software sites is fair, torrents and torrent software is completely legal, it's what some people do with torrents that makes it illegal.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Still, it leaves an acid taste. Not by that Google filters. Google has always been filtering. But the selection of keywords is pretty strange, and could also be understood as a way of economic warfare, since it includes the names of other companies.

Guess the outcry, if Windows wouldn't show any files having Linux in its name.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
So you make a consumer choice and use another search engine. There are plenty out there.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So you make a consumer choice and use another search engine. There are plenty out there.

Really plenty of them? I am only aware of three, that are somehow useful for finding stuff. One of the alternatives already does serious censorship for not offending the Chinese market.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the Instant service still works, just not the auto-complete. FWIW, I normally have Instant off anyway :shrug:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As far as I can tell, the Instant service still works, just not the auto-complete. FWIW, I normally have Instant off anyway :shrug:

Same here, instant is annoying.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I think Google is making the right decision here. As a big company they are one of the few who can make an impact on piracy. They can also save themselves money by not having to scale up hardware to meet the demands of those who are using it just for illegal file sharing sites.

Like any censoring list I saw so far, it is the things that don't make sense that bugs me. It is obviously their choice to try and reduce the use of their product for piracy purposes.
Having utorrent in the filter... Seems a little out of line.

That they alienate anyone with the name torrent, or anyone searching for anything with torrent in it, legit or not, they obviously accept.

Google is such a big corporation, that they do not have to follow their own policies. Whatever happened to "Censorship is bad m'kay?!"?

Wally

Reaction score
I never used Google to search for torrents... I had the impression that Google is already banning torrent files, so from my point of view, no real change from now on :)

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I never used Google to search for torrents... I had the impression that Google is already banning torrent files, so from my point of view, no real change from now on :)
That's right, torrents sites have their own search engines so what's the point of using Google for that purpose anyway.