Google Cars Drive Themselves, in Traffic

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
The car is a project of Google, which has been working in secret but in plain view on vehicles that can drive themselves, using artificial-intelligence software that can sense anything near the car and mimic the decisions made by a human driver.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/science/10google.html

About time!

The project is a decade away from even remotely getting into the hands of common folk. But you have to understand what a lifesaver this can be.

Right now people are FAR FAR too tempted to drive drunk or in a fashion where they are not in a good alert state to operate a vehicle that can injure or kill. As a result of this countless innocent people die each year from these idiots.

I don't know how it is in other nations but here in the south USA the excuse "I just had a few" is as rampant as ever and now we have cell phone use making things even more dangerous.

In my opinion nobody should be allowed to operate a vehicle by themselves without EXTENSIVE training (not being hypocritical as I will not drive unless I go for full and proper classes) However, That wont happen instead technology like this will allow the US Congress to mandate its use for those who afterwards get convicted for even one incident of drunk driving. It also can mean taxis that operate 24/7 driverless and able to be prepaid.

On other forums the response has been hostile so far. "It's MY car I will drive it this is teh AMERICA!"

What do you think?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In short, my opinion is that I don't think I need such a device as I can drive quite well myself, but I would very much like it if other people had one, because I think they are bad drivers.

I think a lot of people will have similar statements.

Also, the taxi idea is excellent.

P.S. inb4 Google taking over the world.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, the taxi idea is excellent.

johnny-cab.jpg

"Please state the street and number."

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
RECALL ok back on topic. This would be a good idea for taxi's I mean you don't need to personally drive anywhere and you get a robot to talk to. As long as it's name isn't HAL. :lol:

Darren

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sounds dangerous if given to marketers.
A regular homo idiotus won't have the knowledge to understand the limitations of such a system, and would believe what the commercials say - car drives itself.
So, instead of driving tipsy or tired he will set the autopilot and take a nap, only to wake up from a sound of bones crunching under the wheels, or something as bad. A robot have good reaction, but a human can anticipate unexpected events.
And if it always drive at speed limit, it would significantly reduce the throughput of the roads.

Sans that, it's quite an interesting development. Last time i heard on the topic there were trials in Japan of an auto-car no one dared to try on a real road, and the systems were still unpredictable. Seeing one actually working properly in real settings for most of the time gives new hope.

I wonder how it would behave on russian roads, though.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is one of the worst ideas ever. Period. Google spies, that's pretty harmless. But now Google drives killing devices and all it takes to kill more is simply one tiny buggy line of code. I'm fine with Google selling this stuff to the military, though.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I do find the technology somewhat concerning: What if, for example, a government mandated the feature's presence in all vehicles, then activated it remotely to disappear people? You might start out on a trip to the grocery store, then find the car locking you out and driving you to the local penitentiary.

Tommy

Reaction score
To gain control of the car he has to do one of three things: hit a red button near his right hand, touch the brake or turn the steering wheel. He did so twice, once when a bicyclist ran a red light and again when a car in front stopped and began to back into a parking space. But the car seemed likely to have prevented an accident itself.

I'm not sure I'm ready to trust my life to "seemed likely".

Now, I'm not the "average" driver. I've had several courses in advanced driving techniques, ranging from the Air Forces High Speed Driving course at Lackland AFB to the "Offensive Driving" course (protective services driving) course at Quantico. I'm also an experienced amateur race driver (sports car and rally). I have three years experience in Law Enforcement, and 6 years as a third shift cab driver, and have seen my share of "statistics" (what we call idiot drivers who kill themselves or others). Even so, I'm not of the opinion that this technology will be ready in a mere decade. While a robot can drive better than some drivers most of the time, there are too many situations where trained human driver will surpass a robot. Here in the US, too many drivers simply aren't trained well - it's far too easy to get a license.

I have a couple problems with this. I live in northern Wisconsin. While a computer may have sensors that allow it to determine it's current traction, it can't anticipate the traction it will have a couple hundred yards down the road. Not a problem in southern California, but essential around here four months out of the year. Nor will that computer be able to anticipate a deer's movement the way a human can - computers don't have intuition, nor can any amount of programming give it intuition. A snow storm will blind a computer's visual sensors - even infra red, so unless roads are wired bad weather will stop a robot car. Even rain will render electronic sensors useless - "shine" will make road lines invisible (assuming the lines are maintained, which is far from certain) and will eliminate any temperature differential between pavement and shoulder.

Because the robot cars would eventually be less likely to crash, they could be built lighter, reducing fuel consumption.

Which means that any accident you do have will be far more likely to kill you.

Sure, the human could take over in case of a problem, but people will simply trust the robot and pay no attention to the situation. They won't even notice there is a problem until metal gets bent.

As for robotic cabs, there is far more to being a cab driver than getting from point A to point B. A robotic cab won't help an old lady load her groceries into the car, or help her get them into her house. It won't know which bar is busy tonight so you can have a good time, or know which restaurant is likely to have a long wait for a table. It won't be able to figure out where the incoherent drunk lives.

True Story #1: I once picked up a Japanese man at the Madison airport who was going to Ft Atkinson (small town about 40 miles away) for buisiness. He was supposed to have been met at the airport, but wasn't. He didn't know what hotel he was supposed to be staying at. I drove him to Ft Atkinson, and after entering town turned off the main road. I don't know why I chose that corner to turn at. A few blocks later I turned again, for no apparent reason. I saw a hotel - and passed it up. I saw a second hotel and pulled in. It was the correct hotel - he was a day earlier than expected, which is why no one was there to meet him. Let's see a robot do that.

True Story #2: I picked up a man who had a bandage on his arm and was bleeding. He flagged me down - he had no phone to call an ambulance. I'm a trained EMT and recognized that it was arterial blood (from the color). I applied a tourniquet and drove him to the nearest hospital (which was 15 minutes closer than the one he originally asked for). The ER doctor told me my actions saved his life. A robot won't be able to do that either.

I like technology as much as the next guy, but I'm not blind to it's limitations. A computer can "mimic" a humans reactions only in circumstances it has been programmed to deal with - and no programmer will think of everything. It will be a long time before artificial intelligence will be able to make good decisions based on very incomplete data nearly as well as the human brain can. Computers don't have intuition - they can only fake it in circumstances that they are specifically designed to handle. Computers are far better than humans when it comes to repetitive tasks, or situations it has been programmed to deal with. They are no match for the human brain when it comes to dealing with new problems and a mixture of incomplete and erroneous data.

Most of the tech used here would be great - FLIR would certainly come in handy for seeing deer or pedestrians in poor visibility. Automatic brakes which activate when sensors detect an obstacle wouldn't hurt - far too many people tailgate. In ideal conditions, a robocar may be a safer driver than me, but in adverse conditions I am certain that I am safer driving myself - and ideal conditions are few and far between.

I also question how much a self driving car is going to cost. How long before the politicians (who can afford these vehicles) decide that humans should no longer be allowed to drive themselves - leaving lower income people unable to get to work and further impoverishing the poor?

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I'd like to see how these cars would behave on badly maintained Latvian roads with potholes big enough to smash a wheel and thick layer of snow and ice during winter.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I must say it is quite interesting to see what you think about when a 'new' idea hits.

Anyway, whether or not you like it, 'driver-less' cars are coming. I believe there are 4 key technology points that need to happen before they become mainstream.

• Information Input
  • Information Processing
  • Information Output
  • Information Sharing

Input is the sensors, and the quality of these is increasing all the time. A human has 3 main inputs: Sight, Touch and Hearing. Sight is the most powerful. A computer can have dozens of main inputs. Including cameras, radar, vehicle information sensors (force gauges, position sensors).

Processing is the meat of this particular story. The human mind is powerful. It can almost instantly process the inputs and get an appropriate output. This also includes decisions. Google has used their server cloud to process the input. Obviously this might not be useful in large scale operations. IMO this is the area that needs the most work before mainstream use.

Output is basically the car controls. A computer controlled car would bypass all movable parts and hence control the existing motors (Power steering motor, electronic controlled brakes (These all exist already))

Sharing information is the benefit of a computer controlled car. Being able to share information about road conditions, traffic, hazards etc with other cars will make computer controlled cars safer (than non-connected cars)

As I said above processing is where the big gains need to be made. It is possible already but only really in experiments.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Obligatory link:

password_reuse.png

Anyways, the Idea is somewhat scarry. It isn't new at all however. Different testruns by different institutions have been done for almost two decades now, and with Google practically owning the GPS map material, it seems logical that they'd give it the next shot.

To actually bring such a thing on the market will certainly take another decade at least, and even then it's questionable how receptive car-producers will be to the Idea. Let's not forget that every accident that happens with such a system will be one hell of an insurance case.

And if it always drive at speed limit, it would significantly reduce the throughput of the roads.

Not neccessarily true. While for the individual driver it takes longer, it actually seems that the total throughput of heavily populated roads increase slightly when everyone is driving civilised and in line. In switzerland there was a short period about 6 years ago where they reduced the speed limits on highways to 80 km/h (from 120!) because of exhaust gases, and as a side effect they noticed that the highways were putting through more cars at rush hours because there were no ques whatsoever.

I can see three main cooncerns with the technology: 1. it would have to be tested extensively, so the algorithm is pretty much fool-proof when it reaches the market. 2. Such a system is lyable to hacking attacks. The designation "computer terrorists" might actually take on a quite literal form. 3. It's the risk of whatever authority gaining potential remote access to your car, which certainly isn't a comforting thought.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The nicest fact about the story is actually, that Google published this one day after my university presented "Leonie", our own autonomous car to the press, and that in city traffic (In the context of Volkswagens international supplier fair). Since Googles car is only shown driving on a highway, it looks like Google is under heavy pressure by us. :lol:

Leonie is the successor of Caroline, the car that took part in the DARPA Urban Challenge.

http://robotland.blogspot.com/2010/10/first-automatic-driving-in-real-city.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.c668be9320e3376a10d767deb0b0649f.a91

Still: Driverless cars will become no reality as long as nobody knows who to sue when something goes wrong. Technological problems are simpler to be solved than legal problems.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Still: Driverless cars will become no reality as long as nobody knows who to sue when something goes wrong. Technological problems are simpler to be solved than legal problems.

Probably, like it's done when aircraft incidents are investigated? When the driver dies, a catastrophic failure tends to be contributed to the driver. :rolleyes:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Technological problems are simpler to be solved than legal problems.

is that not the main reason why we dont have flying cars yet?

although i don't entirely agree with the m400 design... it's really cool but it's too much "plane" and not enough "car"... good for long hauls, but what about the everyday trip to the mall... seems a bit too much

but awesome, nonetheless :thumbup: - for the record: i want one! :lol:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah yes, the Moller Skycar. Mr Moller has been working on it for how long now? 10 years? :rolleyes:

My reaction to the GoogleRobotCar is mixed... over-reliance on technology is bad, but so is over-reliance on humans (at least at times). I mean, if a person who has "only had a few" decides to drive home in a conventional car, what's to say that they will choose to activate the autpilot in a GoogleMobile? I like the idea, but only if it is under full human control and totally optional.

The idea of driverless cars driving their (non-drivers?) to prisons or worse is rather 1984, but it's scary nontheless.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
also, how many accidents by people mistaking cruise control for autopilot do happen every year? ;)

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yes, and how confused would the situation get if your car had both? :rofl:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
also, how many accidents by people mistaking cruise control for autopilot do happen every year? ;)

This is simply meaning that people in mass are in severe need of autopilots for their cars. I dare to predict that in 20 years driving a car manually would be like an art few bother to take up (and permitted only in special driver reservations, otherwise you are FINED! :nono:)