General Question "Glass" Texture

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
After some messing around with alpha maps (and using Artlav's image alpha merger program), I finally got a transparent texture. Only problem:http://img190.imageshack.us/i/transparencyproblem.png/

There are some things inside that bubble that I want visible. If someone can tell me how to make a (semi)transparent texture, that'd be great. Also: I searched the forums, I didn't find anything useful

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Can you select the separate faces? If you can only choose the ones in the front and find the color settings for the texture. Look for trans or transparency. Set it to a number below one.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Faces in what? GIMP or in the modeling program?
I can select them in XSI, but thats not where I'm doing my textures. I'm doing a "blanket" transparency: I have a transparent layer bigger then my UV map for that part.

E

ex-orbinaut

I suggest that it could be one of two problems there, sir.

1. The normals on the bubble are not properly flipped. This is an issue you can resolve in the editor you use, then re-export and convert your model to mesh; and/or;

2. The transparent group of your mesh (in the mesh file itself) is before the non transparent elements. Make sure any transparent groups are the last items in the mesh file list, or they tend to mask what's behind them.

More info:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=7730&highlight=mesh+visibilty

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Number 2 did the trick. Thank you very much. Now time to make it semi-transparent...

E

ex-orbinaut

Number 2 did the trick. Thank you very much. Now time to make it semi-transparent...

Don't know what editor you are using, but now that you are in the mesh file, might I suggest that the most foolproof way of setting your level of transparency is to attack the problem there. Identify the material associated with your transparent mesh and tweak the opacity parameters. More info in Section 4 (4.2 material list) of the 3D Model pdf doc in orbitersdk\doc folder.

PS. That is, of course, if you have not already solved it.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Semi-transparency: I use gray on my alpha channel instead of solid black. Fixed the problem right away. Thank you for your help