Last edited:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I been trying the same thing since [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6326"]Project Gemini[/ame] was released on O-H.

I started at the beginning of the project...working on Gemini VIII for the past 2 weeks...RL and all.

I've got a reasonably accurate Gemini VII / Gemini VI-A set of scenarios.

I'm having a real hard time with launching close enough to the target's orbital inclination and still having enough fuel left on board the Gemini to finish the mission.

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
I been trying the same thing since Project Gemini was released on O-H.

I started at the beginning of the project...working on Gemini VIII for the past 2 weeks...RL and all.

I've got a reasonably accurate Gemini VII / Gemini VI-A set of scenarios.

I'm having a real hard time with launching close enough to the target's orbital inclination and still having enough fuel left on board the Gemini to finish the mission.

Hi NukeET, I have the Gemini 11 launch scenario working with autopilot launch, also a post insertion one. I didn't include it cause the Titan doesn't consistently put the spacecraft in the right orbit, which of course is critical for the one orbit deal. I made the rendezvous scenarios after the Titan made good once on the orbit parameters & went from there. Then on the post insertion one I went and hit the roll key by mistake once instead of yaw during boost and it has that bias at capsule sep. I tried modifying the guidance file in just the roll entry, & got a good result, but again not consistent. I assume that's a function of CPU load? I can put the launch SCNs up later. I started with copying the state vectors from the "tutorial" I made before. (That made it easier, wouldn't want to try that from scratch again too frustrating! That took an embarrassing amount of tries to get it right!) :facepalm::lol:

Looking forward to your Gemini scenarios!:cheers:

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

There's no launch autopilot? That's kind of a drag.. :(

The launch autopilot SCN I got works OK, half the time on orbit parameters like I said above, but then you just need to manually yaw the Titan upper stage slightly off center of the velocity vector later on boost to get the Rinc down below say .10 at insertion, which of course is no problem.

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Here's the launch & post insertion scenarios as promised. The latter has .25 Rinc because of my mistake. I kept that one anyway because the orbit otherwise was usable for M=1 & well within the RCS budget. For launch hit the "P" key at 14:42:13 UTC to get the Titan to liftoff at historic 14:42:26. It starts 30 seconds from launch.

View attachment Gemini 11 SCN II R.zip

Oops almost forgot. The Titan guidance file for Gemini 11 was changed in Config/ProjectGemini/Titan (Gemini_Titan_11_guidance)

original: 10=roll(15,89,90,85,1) to this: 10=roll(15,85,84,85,1) or it won't work.

Added one new launch scenario that's close to the historic, but needs more guidance file tweaks beyond a roll entry of 100°. Rinc can now be 0.01 and an Agena range of 460 km at insertion. See scenario desc.

Last edited:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
There's no launch autopilot? That's kind of a drag.. :(

No...there is an autopilot. But it uses multistage2...which only controls the pitch all the way to insertion. One can set the initial target heading on the first "roll" command - but that's it.

I been porting over the multistage2 values to the autopilot in LaunchMFD...and have been getting MUCH better results. Not perfect...yet.

Hi NukeET, I have the Gemini 11 launch scenario working with autopilot launch, also a post insertion one. I didn't include it cause the Titan doesn't consistently put the spacecraft in the right orbit, which of course is critical for the one orbit deal. I made the rendezvous scenarios after the Titan made good once on the orbit parameters & went from there. Then on the post insertion one I went and hit the roll key by mistake once instead of yaw during boost and it has that bias at capsule sep. I tried modifying the guidance file in just the roll entry, & got a good result, but again not consistent. I assume that's a function of CPU load? I can put the launch SCNs up later. I started with copying the state vectors from the "tutorial" I made before. (That made it easier, wouldn't want to try that from scratch again too frustrating! That took an embarrassing amount of tries to get it right!) :facepalm::lol:

Looking forward to your Gemini scenarios!:cheers:

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

The launch autopilot SCN I got works OK, half the time on orbit parameters like I said above, but then you just need to manually yaw the Titan upper stage slightly off center of the velocity vector later on boost to get the Rinc down below say .10 at insertion, which of course is no problem.

I think you're seeing the same thing I've noticed with the multistage2 autopilot. Out of 10 identical launches...perhaps 3-4 of those end with similar to almost exact orbit insertion parameters.:cheers:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Just to suggest a release under "developer resources", to allow others to include the scenarios on a future Gemini "repack/update".

The idea is to eventually have all the Gemini stuff under a single add-on.
As a first step, we would need material to be made available with permission for redistribution. So "developer resources" makes perfect sense.