Project Galileo II probe to Jupiter

K_Jameson

Reaction score
This is one of the few projects of Orbiter Italia Forum with unmanned probes.
"Galileo II" is envisioned as the sequel of the ill-fated Galileo probe, that has experienced several technical difficulties during his long mission around the planet Jupiter, with heavy limitations on his scientific results, especially the number and the quality of the pictures of the jovian system.
Galileo II is born to provide an higher level on the jovian exploration, directly comparable with the work of the Cassini/Huygens spacecraft at Saturn.

Unlike the Juno probe, Galileo II, that is a heavier spacecraft, is a RTG-powered probe, mainly for his high power requirements and estimated service life.
Here the "Salviati" sub-probe, a small lander for Europa, with human figure for reference. This is only a conceptual sketch. Filippo Salviati, an italian scientist of '600, is the main character of the magnus opus of Galileo Galilei, "Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems".

Galileo II will be launched with a Jarvis-E rocket. This launcher has enough power to inject the probe directly in trans-jovian trajectory, without the complex Venus-Earth gravity assist needed for the earlier Galileo and Cassini probes.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

The main challenge of this addon is the drawing of a credible flight plan and, consequently, the specification of the delta-V required for the main spacecraft and for the Europa lander and the related dimension of the fuel tanks.

i'm looking for detailed informations about the flight plans of Galileo and Cassini spacecraft...

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Detail of the scan platform, with his instruments.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
thank you very much, brianJ! :tiphat:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Some work on the Europa mini-lander. Now with improved details and some scientific instruments, included a drill:

Now the fuel tanks have a decent size. The fuel capacity is 120 kg, for an estimated total mass of 200 kg. This leads to a Delta-V of 2938 m/sec. I have no idea if this value is sufficient for the job. Further calculations are needed.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The "drill", in fact, is not a drill... his purpose is to obtain a superficial soil sample for the mass spectrometer... his lenght is sufficient to reach the surface. :p

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Some concern on the launch trajectory. Perhaps an Earth swing-by will be necessary due to the weight of the spacecraft. Or i'll move on the more powerful Jarvis-H launcher.

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
No, i think you have to do the flyby.. more realistic!

I think 2938 m/s to be a big value, even if you get into Europa orbit.. i havo to do some calculations.

K_Jameson

Reaction score

K_Jameson

Reaction score
as written, 120 kg for the "Salviati" mini-lander.
For the "Galileo II" main probe, the fuel capacity will be in the range of the Cassini Spacecraft: about 3500 kg. A more accurate calculation is needed.

Propellants are storable and hypergolics (N2O4/MMH or N2O4/UDMH).

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Galileo II project is temporarily on hold for health reasons.

Reaction score
Hope is nothing serious,get well soon. :cheers:
No, nothing to worry about, but unfortunately a disease that is long be cured.
Andrew, we are all cheering for you, get well and come back soon (personally I need your rockets ;) )!

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
I join the wish of a speedy recovery! When K-Jameson is absent, the whole italian space program stops! :)