Galaxies..

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
Its been a little while since I raided the forums here so I figured I might make a stop by. :)

I just finished reading an article by space dot com on ghost galaxies. Approximately 4bn years ago a few galaxies were ripped apart and some of the stars are apparently wondering around the area (Pandora cluster I think). Interesting to think about it all. Wondering stars, free to go where gravity takes them. Perhaps one of those stars was another earths sun. Who knows.

I have a couple questions and a little rambling... :)

1) The farther out we look, the farther back in time we look. I wonder what those farthest galaxies would look like if you could jump through a wormhole and visit them.

2) I am familiar, but I cannot think of the term. Its a simple 2 sheets of paper with dots on them placed in a certain way. Its used as a demonstration of where ever you are, it always looks as it you are in the center and everything is heading away from you. Whats this term??

3) With the second question... Would it ever be possible to figure out where we are in the grand scheme of the big-bang and time within our universe? I mean are we one of the most mature (lol) galaxies and the others in our area would be better to look for life versus heading outward?? Or perhaps would it be better to try and figure out where the older galaxies within our age range are amassed? How would this be possible? The shape of our universe apparently is not like a balloon as I always thought. Weird to think about.

Its confusing sometimes to try and think about things because Speed of light, distance, gravity all have a way of changing what you see. My mind keeps wanting to think we are in a balloon shaped universe, but I keep getting told its not. I often wonder how many galaxies with life such as us have come and passed since the beginning. It seems like the rules for us have been custom tailored to keep us in place. From the vaccum of space, to the radiation, Micro gravity and bone loss, micro kill you fast particles, and just in case those first few were covered, DISTANCE. Even at the speed of light it would take 1000's of lifetimes to travel great distances.

So, I wonder if we are stuck on this rock. Like other civilizations only to rise and fall. No purpose, only to help thermo dynamics with the entropy stuff. Kinda depressing. Hawking says we have roughly 1000 years left on earth. I think 200 maybe 300 before we have destroyed this place. As the resources become more scarce I think there will be more war, greed and anger over them.

Anyways,
How about that Question number two?! :)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sounds like you want us to do your school homework. :rofl: (Simply because the questions are full of visible teachers hints to find the correct expected answer)

Some small hint:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protogalaxy"]Protogalaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hawking says we have roughly 1000 years left on earth. I think 200 maybe 300 before we have destroyed this place.

We might kill ourselves off, but the Earth will go on fine without us. It did alright before we showed up, didn't it?

We will always be the center of the visible universe, it's a speed of light thing...

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
Sounds like you want us to do your school homework. :rofl: (Simply because the questions are full of visible teachers hints to find the correct expected answer)

Some small hint:

Protogalaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ha! I assure you, I am no student in school. As for question 2, yeah I would like to know.. As for the rest it was to drum up opinions. I like hearing peoples thoughts, a lot. Seeing how the understand things and think and feel about them.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
1. Some of the quasars probably would cease to shoot jets due to using up all the dust and gas around central black holes.

In starlight spectrum you'd see more heavy elements as stars generations go by.

You'd see more neutron stars, white dwarfs and black holes per galaxy (actually you wouldn't see black holes but you get the point :p).

Probably distant galaxies would have less overall gas and dust as it's being used up by star formation.

2. That's just special case of relativity of motion (not to confuse with general relativity). Can't find better term for that.

3. Since Big Bang happened everywhere in our universe and was the starting moment not only for energy/matter, but also space and time, I find this question difficult to grasp. Every point in space has equal rights here (ignoring overall matter/energy densiy).

We have pretty good grasp when we're in time in scheme of Big bang. ~14 billion years after it, in pretty tame galaxy that stopped shoting jets out of it's center, hapilly orbiting G2V Population I star.

This article pretty much covers where in time we are: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe[/ame]

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
Thanks Loru. I should have thought about the Star types. It was a latenight brainfart... the whole post was.. I try so hard to remember as much as possible. As soon as I step away from space I instantly start forgetting important terms.

I know some here think I was trolling, but those questions were legit. Just as much as me trying to get people to discuss topics. Its hard to get people talking about subjects relevant to my interests or anyones interests. Sometimes I hit a gold mine, sometimes i get smacked down.. I roll with the punches. haha!

But thank you.