Funny thing happened on the way to Indianapolis ...

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
... when I found I could get an F4 into orbit. I expect this is an old bug well known but I've never seen it! Now where do I go? Got plenty of fuel left.

Attachments

• grab_017.jpg
    grab_017.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 46

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
ah yes, the old Spacecraft 2 thing, SC2 didn't support atmospheric engines AFAIK, so yeah, you could get ANYTHING into orbit.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, if you're interested to know why you were able to put an F4 into orbit is that Orbiter by default doesn't model aircraft engines which is dependent on the oxygen in the atmosphere to work. So Orbiter doesn't simulate engine flame-outs that would occur on a normal aircraft at high altitude.

Since that F4 is most likely a Spacecraft*.dll implementation, it will use the only propulsion type Orbiter knows: rocket engine propulsion where both the fuel and oxidizer is carried in on-board tanks.

If you want standard aircraft engines(propeller, turbofan and jet), you'll have to code it yourself. Although there is a Aircraft.dll which similar to Spacecraft.dll but for aircrafts, it has never been updated to any recent Orbiter versions: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=347"]AircraftDLL[/ame]

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
DaveS;bt2037 said:
dependent on the oxygen in the atmosphere to work.
Just a little correction, it isn't the oxygen it is just the air itself, hell I bet an aircraft would fly on Mars if you got it there, as long as their is an atmosphere no matter what the gases, so long as it isn't to thick or thin it would fly.

Darren

PS: At least I think so...