"Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications" by Vallado

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone have a copy of "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications" by Vallado handy that would be willing to scan a few pages from the section on Battin's method for solving Lambert's problem? I've been trying to implement the algorithm, but some aspects are eluding me. If so, shoot me a PM and I'll provide more information.

(Btw, if there are copyright issues with doing this that I'm not aware of, someone please let me know so this thread can be locked or whatnot.)

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
(Btw, if there are copyright issues with doing this that I'm not aware of, someone please let me know so this thread can be locked or whatnot.)
The law varies from country to country. For the only two countries I have had the motivation to do any significant research into, Australia and US, there should be no issues provided the use is for private, non-commercial use.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which, of course, it would be.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I've looked at those. The problem is that the example I'd like isn't available in Google Books. Ugh. :)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have an early edition of this book (and a giant errata sheet to go with it); if this stuff interests you it's worth your while to add it to your technical library.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fair enough. I actually found a paperback copy on Amazon for about $63 USD, so I've made the purchase. It'll look nice next to my copy of SMAD and Bate, Mueller, and White. :)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any of the books written, edited, or published by James Wertz are worth a look:

http://www.amazon.com/Constellation-Design-Management-Technology-Library/dp/1881883078

You can order them direct through the site of his publishing company Microcosm if you can't find them anywhere else. His book on Attitude Determination and Control is hard to find anywhere else, but it's the best I've seen, and it was published in the 70s.

About Vallado, I have an engineer friend who went to a conference where Vallado was speaking. She bought a copy of the book and got him to sign it. I was jealous. Real nerds get their textbooks signed!

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I got my copy of "Advice to Rocket Scientists" by Longuski signed before I left Purdue. :D