Full Systems for All Spacecraft!

penlu

Reaction score
I really liked Radu's Dragonfly, after I got the general idea of how to work it. Has anyone done any other spacecraft to full systems? Also, the Dragonfly's docs say it came from 2002. Has Radu stuck in "communications" and active thermal control yet? I would love having another set of systems to play around with.

It would be especially great if someone did systems for something like Greg's LSTS or the like. How would the engines be handled...?

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
The XR series (XR1, XR2, and XR5) and DGIV are fully detailed, freatured, and modeled aerospace craft.

I personally prefer the XR1 over the DGIV becuase of the working virtual cockpit (that is IMMENSLY important, I wish more people did them).

penlu

Reaction score
But those craft don't have electrical systems control or fuel cell operations or "real" life support systems like the Dragonfly. I meant that kind of thing. And it would be great if the crew in the Dragonfly actually responded to the cabin conditions.

Something like a hybrid between the XR1 and DGIV would be awesome.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Give it a few years before anyone has any time to do it, and then a year or two to implemented it. I doubt that we will see any addon like the Dragonfly for awhile

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
I'll have to try that one out. You have a direct link?

Honestly, with the new Orbiter damage that was released, I'm not really all that bothered about life support and electrical system modeling, I just want an actuall cockpit. The generic view totally kills a lot of potentially good mods because it dumps all hopes at immersion.

Even a panel view is better than nothing, but then it ought to have everything else done.

'Course, I can't really talk much, I can't make any add-ons at all. I'm just a huge fan of immersion and that includes a cockpit, and the stuff from Doug and Dan (and the coming HyperDart from CigDriver) have totally spoiled me. :D

Imagineer

Reaction score
Random Thought

Give it a few years before anyone has any time to do it, and then a year or two to implemented it. I doubt that we will see any addon like the Dragonfly for awhile

Consider UMMU. Add a half-dozen lines of code, link in a DLL and you have UMMU capability. UMMU support is fairly common in new vessels.

Someone could do the same with fuel cells, then with life support...

As more reusable systems become available we can expect spacecraft to be more fully modeled because the cost (in terms of time) of doing so will be less.

One of those "someones" could be you! Roll up your sleeves and code a Universal whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in. :coffee:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So, GPVS, General Purpose Vessel Systems, is something somebody wants?
I did just that thing back in O2003 days, newer released.

Expected feature list anyone?

You link in the dll, define volumes, define electric generators and consumption, define O2, pressurisation, etc, etc. Just like UMMU.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
This sounds like a great idea!

+1

For features, I think you nailed it.
- LOX amounts
- O2 consumption
- Power usage per system (not sure how that would be worked out)
- Power system, is it APU fuel, Fuel cell (fuel needed for each) or solar? If solar, than a panel would need to be deployed in orbit to re-charge, similar to a radiator
- coolant systems (define heating rate, and cooling rate with rad open)

Can't think of much more....

Maybe a damage and repair system? Either random failure (fatigue) or based on stresses, and certain things being able to auto fail over to backups or even perform on the fly repair (to an extent).....

penlu

Reaction score
GPVS exists? You're telling me you (Artlav) made it? ... I can't write code for peanuts...

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
So, GPVS, General Purpose Vessel Systems, is something somebody wants?
I did just that thing back in O2003 days, newer released.

Expected feature list anyone?

You link in the dll, define volumes, define electric generators and consumption, define O2, pressurisation, etc, etc. Just like UMMU.

For short trips, like 2 week orbit, it should have lithium based CO2 absorbers, but for longer trips and bigger vessels, you may need a greenhouse with trees.

Things that could get your crew killed:
-Pressure problems
-O2/CO2 concentration problems
-Starvation, dehydratation
-Temperature
-Presence of toxic substances (waste or vessel systems substances)
-Lack of air conditioning/filtering would release floating human particles that might not kill but could harm people.
-Other?

If you are going to work with vessel supplies, you might need chemical reactions and stoichiometry.

A green process works as follows.

CO2 -> plants (trees are more efficient) -> O2 - > Humans -> CO2

Food -> Humans -> Solid waste -> Bioreactor -> Compost -> Plants -> Food

Notice that food contains some water too. And that's what makes calculations a bit complex, as well as biochemistry of humans and plants, to calculate proportions.

Water -> Humans -> Wet waste -> Bioreactor -> Water + Urea (useful for compost or for industrial use)

A craft has basically 2 systems:
-Hydraulics
-Electric systems
Subdivide those systems and you have a good vessel.