Question FTL Drive Operations - RagTag Fleet Space Park

Fearless

Reaction score
Just a re-post to separate it from another.

Any idea of what controls or how to operate the FTL drive or Warp Drive on the Ring Ship or Space Park, hitting Ctl+F12 spools up either the FTL or Warp Drive (not sure which one) but it doesn't jump anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

CTarana45

Reaction score
Just a re-post to separate it from another.

Any idea of what controls or how to operate the FTL drive or Warp Drive on the Ring Ship or Space Park, hitting Ctl+F12 spools up either the FTL or Warp Drive (not sure which one) but it doesn't jump anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

This from Jon's Puddle Jumper Docs!

FTL Navigation
The FTL drive will jump you from one place to another.
"Flying though hyper space isn't like dusting crops"
Well in this case it kind of is. My FTL drive is much more of a gross jump that will get you into the general
area of your objective rather than precisely to your objective. The direction of the jump is where you are
pointed so target alignment is subject to your skills. Why so sloppy? Because it would be far less of a
challenge or fun if you could make precise jumps.
I wanted to allow really small jumps to moons and other close bodies so the max jump distance is set to
one tenth of an AU or 14959787069.1 meters. The total distance of the jump is determined by two
factors, the "Jump Factor" and "Jump Distance" and the way they interact
is very simple. The "Jump Factor" range is from 0 to 10, the "Jump distance" or JD: range is from 0 to
MAX jump distance in increments of 1000000 and 5000000 meters depending on which keys are used.
The Total distanced jumped is the JD * the JF which if both are maxed gives you a jump of 1 AU.
Simple right?
Keyboard commands for FLT jumping:
Set your jump distance. (Ctrl 1&2 or Shift 1&2 and 3&4 keys)
Spool up the FTL drive. (Ctrl F11)
Point your ship in the direction you wish to jump.
Jump using Ctrl F12

FTL Key recap
Ctrl 3 Toggle between Warp and FTL drive.
Ctrl F11 Spool drive up and down.
3 Decrease FTL FACTOR.
4 Increase FTL FACTOR.
Ctrl 1 Decrease Jump Distance (JD:) in increments of 1000000 meters.
Ctrl 2 Increase Jump Distance (JD:) in increments of 1000000 meters.
Shift 1 Decrease Jump Distance (JD:) in increments of 5000000 meters.
Shift 2 Increase Jump Distance (JD:) in increments of 5000000 meters.
Ctrl F12 Jump.
You can leave the FTL drive spooled up but it does use fuel so keeping it always spooled is not a good
idea Ctrl F11 toggles between spooling up and down.
Warp Navigation
Warp drive; distance traveled and time taken.
At Warp 1 you travel 100000 meters every Orbiter time cycle. This doesn't sound like a lot but it does
get you from the Earth to the Moon in about 1 minute. For the other Warp values I multiply by a number
I just picked as reasonable to get you around the solar system. Warp 10 is insane and will get you to
Jupiter in minutes. These Warp speeds are nothing like the ones on the TV show because on the show
they traveled between solar systems and for us I have to keep us confined to ours. If at some point in
the future Orbiter supports travel between multiple star systems I will adjust my Warp drive accordingly.
Warp Table
Warp Distance traveled in meters
1 100000
2 100000 * 3
3 100000 * 5
4 100000 * 10
5 100000 * 15
6 100000 * 20
7 100000 * 100
8 100000 * 250
9 100000 * 500
10 100000 * 10000 (Jupiter in minuets)
Warp navigation is quite simple and only approximate. I wanted to offer at least some challenge so
basically you point and engage the drive. If you are in Earth orbit and want to go to Mars all you do is
spool up the drive by pressing Ctrl F11, set the Warp value using the 3 & 4 keys, point yourself at Mars
and press Ctrl F12. You will then eventually get into the general Mars area where you will press Ctrl F12
again to get out of Warp Getting into a stable orbit is your problem from that point on. All of your
velocities at the point of Warp entry are intact so you may have a challenge to get into Orbit. You can
leave the Warp drive ON-LINE but it does use fuel so keeping it always ON-LINE is not a good idea Ctrl
F11 toggles between ON-LINE and OFF-LINE.

Warp Key recap
Ctrl 3 Toggle between Warp and FTL drive.
Ctrl F11 Put ON-LINE or OFF-LINE.
3 Decrease Warp value.
4 Increases Warp value.
Ctrl F12 Engage or Disengage the Warp drive.

CTarana45

Reaction score
Jon and Shawn's Docs for Rag Tag Fleet!

This file is every PDF docs for the RTF and includes the Firefly docs too.

Christopher Tarana

Attachments

• Rag Tag Fleet PDF Docs.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 19

Fearless

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately none of the commands work. I'm assuming files are missing or ships are missing for the FTL to function.
Does anyone by chance have Ragtag ships willing to share that have the FTL installed?

Thank you in advance.

CTarana45

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately none of the commands work. I'm assuming files are missing or ships are missing for the FTL to function.
Does anyone by chance have Ragtag ships willing to share that have the FTL installed?

Thank you in advance.

Have you tried the Location MFD? It works in all versions of Orbiter except the current one! :lol: That's what I for my ships for a FTL effect! Location MFD
Author: Chris Knestrick
[email protected]

Orbiter Version: 020419

Christopher Tarana

Attachments

• LocationMFD-071602.zip
    139.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Fearless

Reaction score
Have you tried the Location MFD? It works in all versions of Orbiter except the current one! :lol: That's what I for my ships for a FTL effect! Location MFD
Author: Chris Knestrick
[email protected]

Orbiter Version: 020419

Christopher Tarana

Thanks for that.. I run Orbiter2016 so I assume it won't work then.

Fearless

Reaction score
Does anyone by chance have the puddle jumper from RTF?

Fearless

Reaction score
I didn't see it on that Wayback machine site

FTL works on the BSG in 2016 also

I have BSG working using orbiter.exe as BSG doesn't load when I use orbiter2016_ng.exe

That's interesting. I can see some of the FTL info on the HUD in the BSG but none of the key commands work for the FTL.
It does work for the Cargo Raptor though

Last edited: