News Four Italian airmen missing after two Air Force jets collide in midair

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
This evening I heard on ITA tv news that "they found a parachute", meaning with no pilot attached to it...

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
yes, unfortunately I wouldn't expect the collision of two fighter jets to be foreseeable enough to prepare for such a thing.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Exactly: seat not armed = nothing happens when pulling on the big yellow handle. That would indeed be a big oversight...AFAIK it's an item in the taxi/pre-takeoff checklist.

The planes took of from Ghedi AB, near Brescia, where they are parked in small one-space hangars (visited the place last year).

They are actually powered up there and begin taxiing from there, so I suppose that the seats have to be armed only once already under way taxiing, which may cause the oversight.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Exactly: seat not armed = nothing happens when pulling on the big yellow handle. That would indeed be a big oversight...AFAIK it's an item in the taxi/pre-takeoff checklist.

FIFY

But still, it leaves the question of being able to eject would have changed something.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
3rd body found. One damaged black box found.
The two Tornados were on two different low-level missions.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Can I ask you where you're taking this information from? I've seen in the past that Italian media, as elsewhere in the world, can be, ehm, "approximative" in aviation-related matters.