Question For Modelling and Texturing expert only

coussini

Reaction score
Hello. Tell me what you think.

According to you, the optimal design of 3D mesh on blender and for Orbiter 2016, can be summarized as follows:

1-We create an object with blender 2.82 (my version)

2-If you want to apply a color, you have to do the following:

• Determine which parts are the same color
  • We detach the parts within identical color and we create a collection (a group yellow for example)
  • In Material Properties, Under Orbiter Materials Panel, we create a yellow color, then we apply it to the yellow collection

3-If you want to apply a texture, you have to do the following:

• If the object is very complex or has several elements, create a collection in the same way before
  • Using either the Shading or UV Editing layout, we create a UVMap and save it in the Textures directory of Orbiter 2016. You can edit your UVMap in photoshop also.

By doing this, we optimize the mesh for Orbiter 2016 ?
Is that a good way ?

Best regard, and let me your trick, because I want to create a tutorial on this.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
You should get Orbiter Mesh Tools for Blender.

Work as normal, but pay attention to:
- Orbiter is limited to only one material per mesh group, so yes you need to separate your geometry by color or texture.
- Check face normal orientations
- Apply rotations, translations and scale before exporting
- Apply modifiers before exporting

All rest is as you say; just place the textures on the right folder and it should work.
Test with a simple cube to get started; then try exporting something more complex.

coussini

Reaction score
You should get Orbiter Mesh Tools for Blender.

Work as normal, but pay attention to:
- Orbiter is limited to only one material per mesh group, so yes you need to separate your geometry by color or texture.
- Check face normal orientations

All rest is as you say; just place the textures on the right folder and it should work.
Test with a simple cube to get started; then try exporting something more complex.

Ok but, what is for you check face normal orientations ?

I saw this video, and as you can see, severals colour line goes away from vertex, edge and face. What is purpose.

By doing this, is it change something to the objet of your scene ?

Should I do this when I take a primitive like the cube ?

After that, when I apply rotation... Should I do something around this ?

Explain more your idea for this point.

Thanks. and best regards

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The normal indicates the side of the face that is visible, so you want to have those blue lines coming "out" of the object.

Jordan

Reaction score
There is a better way to display the Normals. Activate "Face Orientation" in the Overlays. Your model will then be colored Blue or Red. Blue are the areas that are visible and red the invisible ones. If you see Red Faces select them press alt-n and choose flip.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

I am not sure about translation and scale but rotation and modifiers are automatically applied by orbiter mesh tools.

Last edited:

coussini

Reaction score
Thanks for every one. You gave me a good bunch of informations. :cheers:

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I also think so, but it's good practice to apply them and check the result before export. Some problems only show up after applying :thumbup:

I usually apply rotation, scale, and translation prior to export, but leave the modifiers un-applied. The export will handle that. Modifiers like mirror are very convenient to keep in place while you are working on a model.

Jordan

Reaction score
[*]We detach the parts within identical color and we create a collection (a group yellow for example)
[.

I use another Method without Splitting my object in Multiple groups.

Lets say you need an object with 4 colors.
Make a texture with 4 squares each 16x16 Pixels and Paint the squares the color you need. Now assign this Texture to your object, select only the faces you need to color, for example the yellow parts, UV unwrap them, in UV Editor scale them down so they fit in the 16x16 squares, and drag them over the color of Texture you need. Continue with the Others colors.

coussini

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. But for now:

I want some receipe to create some color effect for Orbiter 2016 in Blender or just another tool.

Do you know a web link on this, or a viewer in web or A receipe book for Material for Orbiter 2016.

For example,

Gold Diffuse color (hex value)
Ambient color (hex value)
Specular color (hex value)
Specular power (value)

Best regards...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Blender materials are exported to Orbiter as best as possible.
You define materials in Blender visually and when it looks good you export.

For advanced materials you need to add D3D9 PBR textures, but don't worry with those until you've actually exported something.