Project $$$ for Forum/yourself exchange for help on autopilot

tauruslittrow84

Reaction score
OK, my desperation has hit an all-time low. I will pay 50 dollars to the first person who delivers a chippersat.cpp and chippersat.h file to my pm box that will compile successfully on VSExpress2008. The module has been tested and worked fine except for the fact that it is a tailsitter and needs to have the Orbiter's default autopilots configured so that prograde and retrograde are in the Y axis instead of Z. Hylnkacg posted his code to do this at the following forum address. Two segments of code are to go into ClbkPreStep, which I did, another, he just says paste into the .cpp file. He admits there was a small orbiter math function that needed to be included which he forgot to share. It can be found in the UsefulFunctions.cpp file I included or alternatively in the orbitermath.h file I created. Some forum members say I must enter a Radian Angle and Rotation Axis into the line of code that reads
"RotateVector" this is the problem line. Hylnkacg himself on the contrary says all you do is cut and paste all the code and any tailsitter vessel can be adapted to Orbiters autopilot. He says just paste the "math" code into the header file. Nothing I do results without a compiler error about the above line. I have tried EVERYTHING that I know. In my zip file is my mesh and a project file folder entitled "chippersat" for VSExpress with files .cpp/.h , dependencies/solution etc. I have also included textures and a WORKING .dll file for my ship so you can see how it is working now with prograde misaligned, but you can see basically how I want my ship to function with the VCockpit pilots feet pointing in the -Y direction toward the landing legs. My zip file can be downloaded here home.comcast.net/~astromusiccat6684/download.html

Hylnkacg's posted code can be found here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=27280

But its already stuck(wrongly, I suppose) into my included .cpp file

I hate to be so commercially vile and even perhaps against forum standards by offering money. But if some administrator accepts what is probably a quick job, I will gladly the pay the Forum's administrative upkeep for a month with 60 dollars donation....or as I said the first to drop a working file to me I can deposit 50$ to a paypal account....I've studied C++ a good bit and have been working for two years learning orbiter coding to create my ship. I'm very tired tho' as this seems to be the last obstacle with no end in site. As there has been no help offered, I thought I'd try this one last attempt. Thanks, TaurusLittrow

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
$50? Really? :blink:

That's all the more you value the time of the add-on software developers to work for you?

That number doesn't come across as hugely insulting to you?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
$50? Really? :blink:

That's all the more you value the time of the add-on software developers to work for you?

Heh, I would do it for much less. I have no job, so there's that. :p

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Easy there, not everyone is aware of what development time costs. And a lot less are able to accurately judge the effort required for a task (in fact, I am unable to judge that one from the outside, having never worked with autopilots).
50 dollars are adequate for a two to three hour job of an intern, so if a student manages to get it done in that time I'd consider it a fair deal for him.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
For somebody living in poorer countries this would definitely be a treat!
I'd help you for free, but I'm really concentrated on my own project for now.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What happened? First GPL gets questioned (uhhh, so evil and commie), now capitalization on add-on development is discussed. What's next, commercial Orbiter version?

Let's see, I guess Martin could get as much as 35$ on Steam for the base software, with DLCs for OrbiterSound at 10$, Doug's work for like 30$ each.

In light of this, I think 50$ for some custom development is not too shabby. What about a marketplace function here on O-F? Or something like Kickstarter?

:facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't do that... $50 would be just ~20 minutes development time for me, if you use the typical contractor rates in Germany, I can't finish the task in that time (Especially since I would need to ask my employer formally for permission first, even if game development is not a field of business here)

Would you ask me to do it for free or for whisky, it would be much easier.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Let's see
You're doing it wrong.
The game is free.

Starting it cost $0.5.
Exiting it cost $1.
Creating a new vessel with scenario editor - $0.1 plus the cost of the add-on.
Every hour of run time - $0.02 (small print: counted in sim time).
And so on.

You can't do business by asking money for a copy of information, after all. It's unethical.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Orbiter as a Service?

or pay to win: "4,000 m/s dV more - €2"?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It might be a slippery slope.

Last edited:

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Solved.

Well that was simple...
I'm not sure why you attached money to that, but that took 13 minutes, most of it winding up a new Orbiter instance and converting your project file to VS2013.

All you have to do is add orbitermath.h to your solution (right click headers->add existing item->orbitermath.h), add
Code:
#include "orbitermath.h"
after
Code:
#include "math.h"
in chippersat.h, and remove the line (line 52 in the original file)
Code:
   void RotateVector (const VECTOR3 &input, double angle, const VECTOR3 &rotationaxis);
to chippersat.h

Final .h:
Code:
// ==============================================================
//                 ORBITER MODULE: Chippersat
//                  Part of the ORBITER SDK
//          Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Martin Schweiger
//                   All rights reserved
//
// chippersat.h
// chippersat basic specs and animations
//
// chippersat mesh and textures by Chip Rice

#ifndef __chippersat_H
#define __chippersat_H

#include "orbitersdk.h"
#include "payloadmanager.h"
#include "math.h"
#include "orbitermath.h"

#define SOLARPANELSOUND 56
#define RADARFLAGSOUND 57
// Some parameters and capabilities

const double SOLARPANEL_OPERATING_SPEED = 0.025;
const double RADARFLAG_OPERATING_SPEED = 1.500;

// chippersat class interface

class chippersat: public VesselWithPM<chippersat> {
public:
	enum DoorStatus { DOOR_CLOSED, DOOR_OPEN, DOOR_CLOSING, DOOR_OPENING } pan_status, radarflag_status;
    enum Autopilots{ Off, Killrot, HLevel, Prograde, Retrograde, Normal, Antinormal, Hover};
	chippersat (OBJHANDLE hObj, int fmodel);
	BEACONLIGHTSPEC beacon[3];
    MESHHANDLE vcmesh_tpl;
    Autopilots AUTOPILOT; // Control mode
	void DefineAnimations (void);
	void ActivateSolarPanels (DoorStatus action);
	void RevertSolarPanels (void);
	void ActivateRadarflag (DoorStatus action);
	void RevertRadarflag (void);
    void OrientForBurn(VECTOR3& tgtVector); 

// Overloaded callback functions
	void clbkSetClassCaps (FILEHANDLE cfg);
	void clbkLoadStateEx (FILEHANDLE scn, void *vs);
	void clbkSaveState (FILEHANDLE scn);  
	void clbkPreStep (double simt, double simdt, double mjd); 
	void clbkPostStep (double simt, double simdt, double mjd);  
    void chippersat::clbkPostCreation ();
	int  clbkConsumeBufferedKey (DWORD key, bool down, char *kstate);
	int  clbkGeneric (int msgid, int prm, void *context); 
	void PM_clbkPayloadJettisoned (int slot_idx, OBJHANDLE jettisoned_ship);
	void PM_clbkVehicleCapsChanged();
	int MyID;
    bool shouldAnimateTheThing;
    bool clbkLoadVC (int id);
    void SetDockingLight (bool on);
	int lightfront_status;  
	SpotLight *docking_lightfront;

private:
    void DefineThrusters();
	void Test();
	UINT anim_pan, anim_radarflag, anim_panRtop;
    char j_name[32];
	double j_timer;
	double pan_proc, radarflag_proc;
	OBJHANDLE rBody, rVessel;				// Object handle for vessel and the celestial body being orbited. 
	VECTOR3 aVel, rVel, rPos, gPos;			// Some positional vectors we'll be using. "Angular Velocity", "Relative Velocity", "Relative Position", and "Global Position"
	VECTOR3 vPrograde, vNormal, vHorizon;	// Orbital vectors in local vectors. "Prograde", "Orbit-Normal", and "Orbital Horizon"
	VECTOR3 vGravity, vThrust, aSpeed;		// Misc Vectors. "Gravity", "Thrust", and "Airspeed".

// script interface-related methods, implemented in HST_Lua.cpp
	int Lua_InitInterpreter (void *context);
	int Lua_InitInstance (void *context);
};

#endif // !__chippersat_H

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Here's the actual reason I helped with this ;)

You realize that you must release your addon under the GPL? You incorporate Hlynkacg's code, which is released under GPLv2 or any future version (which means GPLv3 if you want)

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

I'm very tired tho' as this seems to be the last obstacle with no end in site. As there has been no help offered, I thought I'd try this one last attempt. Thanks, TaurusLittrow

Where have you asked about this before? Ah, now I see. Sometimes threads slip through the cracks :(

Last edited:

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You realize that you must release your addon under the GPL? You incorporate Hlynkacg's code, which is released under GPLv2 or any future version (which means GPLv3 if you want)

Not exactly, at least in theory. He can ask the original author(s) for a personal 'license" to incorporate the code without have to GPL his own.

Of course, if the original author(s) intended to allow that, he(they) would choose a different license at first place. :)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You're doing it wrong.

<Russian business plan skipped>

You can't do business by asking money for a copy of information, after all. It's unethical.

:rofl: We could also try to expand the pay2win scheme towards pay2launch. Could be a KSP-style mode, just with $$$ for the parts. How's that for a VSA? Would give your failures real drama to nibble on.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Easy there, not everyone is aware of what development time costs. And a lot less are able to accurately judge the effort required for a task (in fact, I am unable to judge that one from the outside, having never worked with autopilots).
50 dollars are adequate for a two to three hour job of an intern, so if a student manages to get it done in that time I'd consider it a fair deal for him.

I agree. The OP is only asking for someone to get his existing source file to compile under VS 2008 Express, not write an autopilot:

I will pay 50 dollars to the first person who delivers a chippersat.cpp and chippersat.h file to my pm box that will compile successfully on VSExpress2008.

Seems to me like 50 bucks is a fair offer for that. :tiphat: If someone chooses to do the work for that price, then great! And if not, the offer either goes up or it is solved some other way -- it's how the free market system works. :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is a very slippery slope, by the way. I hope I won't see anything else like that on this forum. :rolleyes:

tauruslittrow84

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks!:sweet: You not only fulfilled my wishes, but you helped me learn a little more about coding and VSExpress...When Hylnkacg said "just add it to your header" ...I just cut and pasted the whole math function into my .h file, but when I right clicked the headers file and added it as an existing file....BINGO...Success. I do wanna thank those that agree with a free market system. It works! Hopefully in 2016 we can find that again and get back to REAL spaceflight! Anyhew...I knew it would be a 10 minute thing for someone...that's why I set it at 50 to start....and really my development is for myself so I can get back to flying....if it worked well. I was going to see if anyone wanted my simple lil add-on, but that was after complete testing and success, I knew that I needed to go to a special area whenever I was going to do that...thought that Hylnkacg said it was fine to use the code, but if I get past the point of enjoying my creation and want to pass it on, I will follow protocol....NOW....do you have a PayPal account???? Need to fulfill my part! I wanna thank Gattispilot too...he is a real helpful presence on the forum...You two make the forum work as it should.. I thought a money offer might be violating a forum rule...but sure did get me what the hell I wanted when no one was looking otherwise ;) Thanks again , TaurusLittrow84

---------- Post added at 05:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

I was going to let my last comment be it. But reading the snarkiness of some, I have to express something. I have been an Astronomy/Space Flight aficionado since I was 5 years old. Now at 50, I've traveled to KSC from WV to see the MER-B, Mercury Messenger, and 5 shuttle launches including the Return-to-Flight after Columbia and the very last flight 135 Atlantis, watching as a reporter from the clock! My company has given gifts to shuttle crews and I watched in horror as this last president cut the space program off at the knees. Now the only thing NASA publishes on its own launch schedule on the web is flights from the COSMODROME! REALLY???? I began dreaming of a software program that would allow me to feel the reality of celestial navigation. Others tried, but ORBITER was the real deal. I was ELATED when I found it. Now I graduated as a Music Education/Spanish Major and am teaching Spanish in public school. Yes I do have a science certification too, but I never got past Algebra 1 , 2 and Geometry in HS or college. So I've self-taught myself everything here in Orbiter that involved C++ and Trig... its all new to me even tho. I was at the top of the class in those earlier-mentioned Math courses. So what!!!! I havent' been able to absorb everything that the predominant users of this forum know from years of computer courses ....but I'm trying to learn and I thought there would be alot of EDUCATORs in that sense on here. Helping willfully like Gattispilot and a like a good teacher should. Often it has felt brutal here...if you weren't part of some engineering clique...People see my TaurusLittrow handle and have just ignored me as though I was being a bother asking too many obvious questions.... Now I'm not sure... that these were scientists at all, but mere game-ers with some supreme attitude. I resorted to $....because I wanted to finish my project and felt rejected by those whom I thought presented a forum for HELPPPPPPPPP. If I was wrong forgive me. The top of the page should read "FOR EXPERIENCED COMPUTER EXPERTS ONLY!" To those who are part of the engineering and space industry I salute you here...to those who are just bothered because they haven't been up from there joystick to go out and work for the past three months and have the nerve to judge because they know it ALL about coding their fantasy war game space planes and want a take a jab at someone who wants to get us REALLY TO MARS, I give your snarkiness right back at you!!!! I don't believe this $ is a slippery slope. Nobody has to worry about participating in any kind of non-free forum if you don't want to...and if you dont' want to see capitalist posts.....THEN HELP OUT THOSE WHO ASK FOR IT!!!!!!:rant:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
:rolleyes:

You know the story of the drowning man, who rejected all help by others, because he was sure that God will rescue him?

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was told a history when young. A firefighter taught me to never approach a drowning man by the front.

Approach by his back, grasp him firmly by the neck - to keep his head above the water, *and* also to choke him if he became a risk to the mission. You job is to get the guy out of water alive, not to be nice to him, to be his afterlife companionship, becoming his friend and much less inflating your ego.

If you see someone in need of serious help and refuses to help him by not being asked nicely, the problem is you - not the guy.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was told a history when young. A firefighter taught me to never approach a drowning man by the front.

Approach by his back, grasp him firmly by the neck - to keep his head above the water, *and* also to choke him if he became a risk to the mission. You job is to get the guy out of water alive, not to be nice to him, to be his afterlife companionship, becoming his friend and much less inflating your ego.

More so, the first thing that matters for any firefighter is self-protection. :lol: Don't become the next victim that your fellow firefighters have to rescue.

But I am not sure, if this really helps in this context, since the worst harm that I can see here for the helpers is a high threat of alcohol intoxication this weekend.