OHM Fly-By-Wire 0.9 beta

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Fly-By-Wire (FBW) complements or replaces Orbiter's support for game controllers like joysticks and HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) systems like the Saitek X52 or Thrustmaster Cougar. With FBW, you can currently assign different axes on different game controllers to control main engine thrust, hover engine thrust, retro engine thrust, aileron, elevator, rudder (but not the nosewheel), elevator trim, and bot rotational and translational RCS thrusters.For details, seeFly-By-Wire EGCS at OrbiterWiki New in 0.9 new input type "combined" (combine any two joystick inputs to act as one axis) use custom function to modify joystick input presets for identity, linear, exponential function mirror function (for symmetric controls) saving and loading of custom functions new "shared" mode for main and retro engine (control both with one joystick axis) audio feedback on mode change (main/idle/retro) latest SDL library (1.2.13) included

[ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3223]More...[/ame]

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods

Review by napes weaver
Pros: SIX STARS!!!
Review:
I've been waiting for this add-on since I found Orbiter. I use a Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro joystick. At last, I have the linear thrusters (up and down / side to side) assigned to the hat! With the previous version I couldn't run the main engine with the joystick deactivated, so using the hat for thrust control was prohibitive (my POV changed too). Excellent Excellent EXCELLENT development!!!

Review by hipotok1978
Pros: Very VERY powerful piece of software
Cons: took me about 10 minutes to learn how it works
Review:
as I said, VERY powerful piece of software. It is a bit on the complex side to use but once you get used to it, quite awesome replacement for some of the crap software that is included with most controlers. Some of the dialogs are in German so it took me a bit to translate

Review by boxx
Pros: a good idea and a necessary add-on
Cons: a few Orbiter commands only and the lack of a userguide
Review:
Only 13 Orbiter commands. I was expecting to switch among displays (F1, F2, F8) and and to control autopilots (Kill rot,...) from the Joystick buttons. Explanations on the effects of throttles are much needed (i.e. main/retro continuous throttle in combination with a button)

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
could it be possible to make a version were i can stear the features to (gear, Bays...).
Just to say that an Joystick Axe/button schould work as a button on the keyboard, while orbiter is running.
for examople to use the fire-button as killrot.
:please:

NovaCat

Reaction score
To HAL9001.
I use joystick logitech extrime 3D pro & attack3. In the service program there are options setting of buttons.

To autor.
At use of both joysticks simultaneously, there is a conflict. It is possible to make use of one of joysticks for two modes ROT and TRANS. It is possible as to add in the program of adjustment of buttons of joysticks

Maquis

Reaction score
Wow, this addon solved all my problems! Okay, almost ;)

Is there a way to assign same joystick for Rotation and Translation? I thought joystick will inherit the setting from Orbiter (ROT/TRS switch), so I could simply map the RCS mode to button. However it seems that all axes work independently - so in my config it makes both modes work same time. Is there a way to make same joystick (3-axes) to work on ROT and TRS, but without the above problem?

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Wow, this addon solved all my problems! Okay, almost ;)

Is there a way to assign same joystick for Rotation and Translation? I thought joystick will inherit the setting from Orbiter (ROT/TRS switch), so I could simply map the RCS mode to button. However it seems that all axes work independently - so in my config it makes both modes work same time. Is there a way to make same joystick (3-axes) to work on ROT and TRS, but without the above problem?

Just don't use Fly-By-Wire to assign joystick axes for rotation/translation/aerial surfaces at all and use the Orbiter launchpad joystick setup instead. You could assign any other function using Fly-By-Wire.

Maquis

Reaction score
Just don't use Fly-By-Wire to assign joystick axes for rotation/translation/aerial surfaces at all and use the Orbiter launchpad joystick setup instead. You could assign any other function using Fly-By-Wire.

That's okay, I think I solved it.

Attached hover engine to throttle through Fly-By-Wire and the rest through Autohotkey script. I wonder if not change it all for Autohotkey (very flexible system) to control all engines (hover,main, retro) through one throttle. It has it setbacks, but should work fine. We'll see.

I decided to code it because I couldn't figure out how to force third translation axis to work (forward-outward movement).

Last edited:

Maquis

Reaction score
I'm using two joystick keys for that.

Yeah, I know it's possible. But with Autohotkey I can make it work in a way that I'll use one button to select engines (hover, main, retro) and throttle to set thrust.

I guess in the future I'll simply add joystick and replicate full TICA/ACA. At least for the LM.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I guess in the future I'll simply add joystick and replicate full TICA/ACA. At least for the LM.

Well, two joysticks is a must have for some complex vessels like XRs and DGs. I have Saitek Avi8or/Siatek Pro Flight Quadrant with the sum of 8 axes (+2 axes of POV hat)/18 keys and switches (8 of them can be reassigned as a set for three different modes during flight), so in most cases I don't need to use keyboard at all, at least for flight control.

Maquis

Reaction score
Well, two joysticks is a must have for some complex vessels like XRs and DGs. I have Saitek Avi8or/Siatek Pro Flight Quadrant with the sum of 8 axes (+2 axes of POV hat)/18 keys and switches (8 of them can be reassigned as a set for three different modes during flight), so in most cases I don't need to use keyboard at all, at least for flight control.

I've got thrustmaster with throttle.

For LM I should have two joysticks - one for rotation and second one working in two modes: first one translation, second one 2-axis translation and engine thrust. But for DG it would be nice to have two joysticks and throttle. Perhaps in the future when I'll have time I'll focus on such approach, but for now it's uncertain at best.

cslevine

Reaction score
Well : is this addon made for Orbiter ?
i mean the space flight simulator Orbiter made by Dr Martin for PC ?
maybe here is some confusion with other software, i think, because there is no way to have it into Orbiter. The Dr Martin's software one. Maybe there is another Orbiter software?

because no joystickmap.cfg,
and SDK... Ah ok, this if the code for C++ user for that they have to compile and run with Orbiter.

There is some confusion, and the final user believe that he will install this addon directly into Orbiter and then use it for configure joystick, maybe in the launchpad.....

but anyway, this utility is a good idea :)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
i mean the space flight simulator Orbiter made by Dr Martin for PC ?
maybe here is some confusion with other software, i think, because there is no way to have it into Orbiter. The Dr Martin's software one. Maybe there is another Orbiter software?

because no joystickmap.cfg,
and SDK... Ah ok, this if the code for C++ user for that they have to compile and run with Orbiter.

There is some confusion, and the final user believe that he will install this addon directly into Orbiter and then use it for configure joystick, maybe in the launchpad.....

but anyway, this utility is a good idea :)
..what.

This is an addon for Orbiter. You don't need to compile it yourself...

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
i mean the space flight simulator Orbiter made by Dr Martin for PC ?...
Err.....cslevine, you know how to activate modules in Launchpad, don't you?
Then, head to the Extra tab.

cipher169

Reaction score
I have buttons mapped out so that they can do translation of the ship. However, whenever I hit Ctrl, a minute amount of thrust is applied to some of the rcs thrusters. I have tested that my joystick is working properly.

I don't know what else I can do. Could anyone help.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
It's normal.

Keypad keys alone are RCS.
CTRL & keypad keys reduce RCS output by some percentage (maybe they only output 10% thrust, I don't remember), to be very precise for those "extra delicate" manoeuvers.

cipher169

Reaction score
It's normal.

Keypad keys alone are RCS.
CTRL & keypad keys reduce RCS output by some percentage (maybe they only output 10% thrust, I don't remember), to be very precise for those "extra delicate" manoeuvers.

I mean that when I tap control, a small amount of rcs thrust is applied to random linear rcs groups continuously. I have no way to stop the thrusters from firing.

TCR_500

Making my own racing simulator.
Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
This plugin has great potential, but there are a few downsides:

(1) It mixes English with another language (I think it's German). Making it all in English and making another version all in the other language, or making a language option, would be a great improvement.

(2) On some controllers, not all of the axis are available. For example, the X52 has seven axis not counting the built-in mouse X and Y axis. But this plugin only registers six axis at most. I suggest making this thing scan the controllers to get a list of all of the axis that the controller uses.

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
Would it be possible for me to configure this so as to operate two sticks, one for rotation and the other for translation (as in Soyuz)?

thammond

Reaction score
I tried installing this is 2006-P1 and get an error message

"Modules/FlyByWire/FlyByWireCore.dll not found. Check installation"

When I tried to activate the FlyByWire Module.

The version that is on Orbit Hanger Mods is 0.9.1 beta. Whereas all the installation documentation seems to be written for version 0.9. In the installation directions state to unzip to main Orbiter directory while preserving the directory structure. However due to the way the zip file was constructed, it would end up with all the files being placed in a subdirectory called "0.9.1 beta". i.e. the FlyByWireCore.dll would end up in the main orbiter directory/0.9.1 beta/Modules/FlyByWire/FlyByWireCore.dll

That does not seem right, so I installed all the files to where I believe they should be located at. For example I moved FlyByWireCore.dll to main orbiter directory/Modules/FlyByWire/FlyByWireCore.dll

However that got me the error message listed above. I then tried to unzip per the instructions to the main orbiter directory which did install everything into a "0.9.1 beta" subdirectory, but I still get the same error.

The FlyByWire does show up on the Extra tab, but when I try to edit the configure, orbiter shuts down.

Any ideas? Has anyone successfully installed the 0.9.1 beta version? Does anyone have the 0.9 version I could try?

Edit - - - - - - - - - - - -

I figured out my installation issue. I did not copy the SDL.dll file to my root orbiter directory. Note you will not be able to unzip to main orbiter directory as instructed for the 0.9.1 beta version. You will need to manually install all the files to their proper directories.

Last edited: