Gaming Flightgear 3.4 released

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Only just noticed, seems like these guys have come on quite a way since 2.x!

env_feature01.jpg

env_feature12.jpg

Sub-orbital experiments are looking rather good too, although nowhere near Orbiter (physics aren't quite there yet either):
shuttle01.jpg

I'll stick to Orbiter for now; I don't think simulating other planets/moons is on their development roadmap just yet... :thumbup:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
FlightGear is to atmospheric flight what Orbiter is to spaceflight: they're both better in their domains.
I've played in FlightGear for quite some time now and I'm enjoying it; seriously with a bit of time it can (and for some part already does) compete with FSX or X-Plane.

The fact that they can render the Earth from space IMO makes atmosphere renderings better, and more realistic too.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Anybody know what the minimum specs are for this (Linux version)? I've tried it on a new Dell PC (not a gaming rig) but it simply won't load.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Anybody know what the minimum specs are for this (Linux version)? I've tried it on a new Dell PC (not a gaming rig) but it simply won't load.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 17 laptop (i7, GeForce 840M graphics card) on Windows, and I get a usable 20-30 FPS with the Boeing 777, and that's with pretty nice-looking settings. From what I've heard, Linux installs run slightly better, but that might just be hear-say.

Refusing to run sounds a bit odd - is that via the command line?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
From release notes:

I'll have to take a look at some point, then. It was quite shocking, trying a tight turn to lose airspeed quickly, and finding I was speeding up with the throttle at idle.

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

I'm using a similar laptop to Spacethingy, but mine's even less powerful: Dell Inspiron 15 laptop (i3, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 6Gb RAM).

I'm running Flightgear 3.4 (originally started with 3.0 I think) built from source along with all the dependencies on Slackware Linux with reasonable results. I keep middle-of-the-road settings for all the eye-candy, and I regulary hit my self-imposed max fps of 35 when in uncongested areas. Around large cities or when there are a fair number of other aircraft around, that will drop into the 18-25 fps range which is good enough I think.

So, decent results under Linux on a beat-up old laptop. I imagine a new desktop should do just fine.

-- Mike

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I'm using a similar laptop to Spacethingy, but mine's even less powerful: Dell Inspiron 15 laptop (i3, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 6Gb RAM).

I'm running Flightgear 3.4 (originally started with 3.0 I think) built from source along with all the dependencies on Slackware Linux with reasonable results. I keep middle-of-the-road settings for all the eye-candy, and I regulary hit my self-imposed max fps of 35 when in uncongested areas. Around large cities or when there are a fair number of other aircraft around, that will drop into the 18-25 fps range which is good enough I think.

So, decent results under Linux on a beat-up old laptop. I imagine a new desktop should do just fine.

-- Mike

Hmm, might just be a version issue. I might have to build it (I'm using Linux Mint). The Ubuntu version did not work at all.