Flight Simulator X Thread

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Starting this for general discussion, but personally, because I'm running into an increasingly frustrating texture issue. Does anyone know what would cause this to happen in night textures, lights included? Landing and Taxi lights look 'layered,' and ground textures look like they're being rendered in 16-bit.

FSX_NL_Issue.jpg

I've tried changing every imaginable setting in nVidia Control Panel, nVidia Inspector, REX4, Installed and uninstalled ENB Series, calibrated my monitor, but no luck.

Running 1920x1080x32
nvidia_20141021_224935.png

Any ideas?

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not an idea, but I'd actually commit petty roughing up of people for the kind of spotlight imagery you're getting. I'm still running FS9, and I avoid taxiing at night because it looks like I'm running my aircraft through milk. :p

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Any ideas?

Have you messed with the filtering settings inside the FSX settings menu recently? Try bilinear if they're off, and work your way up.

If that doesn't work, you could always go with the tried and true method of taking your .cfg file out back with a shotgun and let FSX draw you up a new one.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are you using DX10 mode? I think there were some issues like this when you have DX10 preview mode enabled...

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
For the DX10 mode, you could Steve's DX10 Fixer a shot. It solves lots of issues with the DX10 Preview mode. It's not free, though, but it's quite popular with the community because it greatly enhances the DX10 Preview mode.

A good alternative could also be Lockheed Martin's Prepar3d V2, which is a completely overhauled FSX code with tons and improvements, that gets constantly updated (current Version is 2.4). And the developers communicate with the community and are relatively open to suggestions - especially when it comes to fixing (legacy) problems.

The Academic License costs $59.00 - but everybody is basically entitled to it, because it's not an entertainment product. You don't need proof to be a student of anything like that, because the target audience is "everybody who uses it as a learning tool"

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Are you using DX10 mode? I think there were some issues like this when you have DX10 preview mode enabled...

No. DX10 Preview is disabled.

A good alternative could also be Lockheed Martin's Prepar3d V2, which is a completely overhauled FSX code with tons and improvements, that gets constantly updated (current Version is 2.4). And the developers communicate with the community and are relatively open to suggestions - especially when it comes to fixing (legacy) problems.

The Academic License costs $59.00 - but everybody is basically entitled to it, because it's not an entertainment product. You don't need proof to be a student of anything like that, because the target audience is "everybody who uses it as a learning tool"

I've been looking at P3Dv2 a lot lately, especially since they just added DX11 support. However I'm also at a point where a new video card may have to happen first so I can get the most out of it when I do buy it. Of course, new video card most definitely means new power supply, as my meager 500W OEM just won't cut it with modern cards. Gathering the additional funds for a good 800-1000W power supply (not going cheap) and at least an nVidia GTX 780 or better will take some time.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

Have you messed with the filtering settings inside the FSX settings menu recently? Try bilinear if they're off, and work your way up.
Yes, have tried them all. Trilinear was enabled during this screenshot.

If that doesn't work, you could always go with the tried and true method of taking your .cfg file out back with a shotgun and let FSX draw you up a new one.

Now this I haven't tried. May give it a shot this evening, will report back if any changes.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

I didn't want to wait until this evening, so I went home for lunch. I removed the FSX.cfg file from the directory and let FSX regenerate a new one. If anything, it made the situation worse.

One thing to note - I am using MegaScenery Earth, which I discovered in the manual doesn't have high-res nigh textures. Fair enough, I can chalk the minecrafty-looking night ground textures around KHNB (and all of Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio) up to that.

But, That doesn't explain the way the landing lights look layered when illuminating default textures or the way the light halo looks layered around the light itself. I'll keep digging.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Definitely not just MegaScenery. It's everything, down to the sky texture just after dusk. Part of me thinks it's video card/driver related, but if either of the two it would have to be driver, because historically on this machine FSX has looked great regardless what time I flew.

As much as I hate to do it, I think I may just do a fresh install of FSX early next week, then if it looks good, start reinstalling addon planes, followed by ASN, then REX4, then if all is still good, try installing MegaScenery Indiana again.