News First wild stork chicks to hatch in UK in centuries poised to emerge

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I seem to remember a town in Germany that had storks on its rooftops?

Wait a minute - there used to be no storks in UK? :blink:

We have the white storks in almost every village. The nest above the house where I lived during my first years even has a popular webcam.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, no!

As the item says not known here for hundreds of years. Coming back so that's ok.

Rather large birds, not sure our chimney stacks can take them...

Marijn

Reaction score
Wait a minute - there used to be no storks in UK? :blink:

Same here in NL. I never thought they wouldn't cross The Channel. They fly to Africa and back from here.

I've been once in Gibraltar. There I saw how an enormous gaggle of storks was catching lift in a wave system developed by this rock and after they had a lot of altitude, they went for it.

Here's a recent clip of a fellow club member seeing quite a bunch of them. Storks are beloved by the gliding community as they are the best example of how one should glide the animal kingdom has to offer. Unlike birds of prey, they use all sources of lift, not just thermals, and also optimize their straight flight.

edit: at 5:30

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, no!

As the item says not known here for hundreds of years. Coming back so that's ok.

But... but... how did you guys get babies over there all that time?? :blink:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Same as everyone else...AmazonUK(est. 1664)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
A wild white stork chick has hatched in the UK for the first time in what is believed to be hundreds of years.
Three nests containing eggs were being monitored at the Knepp Estate in West Sussex.
In one nest, five eggs were laid and the parents were seen incubating them before removing eggshell from the nest.
The parents, which were thought to have attempted to breed last year, have been seen regurgitating food for their offspring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-52675922

Marijn

Reaction score
Good news. But I wonder why a pair of breeding storks is such a rare event in the British Isles. Hopefully there are more to come.

Actually, I think the answer is quite straight forward. Storks use updrafts to gain altitude which they convert into distance, exactly like a glider does. They don't burn calories by flapping their wings.

The Strait of Gibraltar is less than 16km at the smallest crossing. The smallest crossing of The Channel is 32km.

In Southern Spain, you'll have excellent daily thermal conditions from early on in the season, rising to high altitudes. In North West France, conditions aren't that good early in the year. Most of the days do not have thermal conditions at all.

Global warming has a positive effect on thermals in Northwest Europe. It's not because of the warmer air which actually supresses the development of thermals, but the dryer ground is more likely to produce them.

So I think the coming of the storks to Britain is related to the warming of the earth. Crossing The Channel has become less difficult for them.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Nice theory, but they could always use the tunnel, or the ferry...

From here;
https://www.cameronbespolka.com/you...their-heritage-in-the-uk-and-potential-future

The white stork (Ciconia ciconia) is now extinct from Britain due to persecution (as a symbol of Christianity), habitat loss and hunting, although about 20 individuals are spotted annually across the UK. The last breeding record was a pair which famously nested on St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh in 1416; 601 years ago. Nowadays all that is permanently left of these beautiful birds are place names (such as Storrington, West Susses, which was listed as ‘Estorchestone’ in the Domesday Book, meaning ‘homestead of the stork’) and records of their consumption at medieval banquets. The species also has a considerable presence in culture and folklore across the world, with familiar and unusual tales about their relationship with, and significance to, humans.

Don't remember storks having a history in culture here, not surprising if they went extinct 500 years ago.

Last edited:

Marijn

Reaction score
The last paragraphs point out that the long distance migration has only been understood recenly. I am not sure what 'understood' means here. I think it's just the observation of the fact that they travel long distances. Not how they travel long distances.

600 years ago was the ending of the Medieval Warm Period. So I think I got this right.

I've got a theory of why birds including storks travel in a V-pattern too. I can't find my answer to that question on the internet. Usually you'll find something about drag which doesn't make any sense to me. When gliders travel in the same direction, they natually form a V-pattern as well. There is a very simple reason to do so.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Dolphins do the same thing with the bow waves off ships?

Marijn

Reaction score
Dolphins do the same thing with the bow waves off ships?

That's some other behavior I think. That makes me think of seagulls following a ferry. How do they do that? Does every seagull manage to find more calories when they follow a ferry than they spend flapping? That's a different (very interesting) technique: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_soaring

When flying in a V-pattern, each member of the V has a side-on view to the other arm of the V. Vertical differences in sink or rising air are therefore very easy to spot. You cannot see this from the ground. But edge-on, it's obvious.

So at every moment, the birds can see whether a course deviation to the left or right would be beneficial. The side where one arm of the V happens to be lower, that's the side to avoid. Simple. This also better describes the actual movement which is seldom in a straight line.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
No, not native as far as i know. In zoos and wildlife parks.

Our extensive royalty hunted and ate most wildlife over the ages.