Problem Errant NASSP texture during staging ruining game and tanking FPS.

ApolloPilot

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post so please be kind. I am getting back into Orbiter and downloaded 2016 along with NASSP V8 and Orbiter Sound. It is a brand new installation. I have been working my way through the NASSP apollo 11 mission from T-4 hrs and have been having a lot of fun. Some problems arose however. A vast, huge section of KSP and the surrounding area is white blocks, the buildings and towers all are there but the ground texture and mesh is not. The remainder of the world map is normal.

Now, to the meat and potatoes part of this post. During staging, and most recently during transposition and docking, an ugly texture (that I found to be called junk.dds) explodes outward from the fairings and completely obliterates my view and tanks my FPS. This is very frustrating as I am not sure why this keeps happening. When I go ahead and delete the texture (who needs textures? /s), the same thing happens during staging and docking but with a new (and as of yet unknown) dust/smoke like texture that, once again, completely obscures the vehicle and tanks my FPS.

If any of you smart folks could help me out with this really confusing issue, I would be very much appreciative. Thanks in advance.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are you using the DX9 Client? I think the weird staging effect happens if you don't. It is very much recommended to use the DX9 Client with NASSP. Best look through the installation guide for NASSP (It is not 100% necessary to use the Orbiter Beta and using Orbiter 2016 should not cause any of the issues you are getting).

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not a NASSP user - so others, who are, can probably advise you better, however....

I had a quick look at the NASSP-V8.0-Beta-Orbiter2016-1468.zip.
It looks like the "Canaveral_VirtualAGC.cfg" it uses is in the old Orbiter2010 format.
So you might be able to fix your KSC surface tile problem by deleting everything from "BEGIN_SURFTILELIST" to "END_SURFTILELIST", from the "Canaveral_VirtualAGC.cfg" file.
(backup your "Canaveral_VirtualAGC.cfg" file, in case it doesn't work).

Your ugly texture cloud at staging is probably a "particle-stream", no idea why it's not working for you, but if you remove the "junk.dds" texture, it will simply use the default "contrail1" texture (smoke puffs).
Using time-acceleration while a particle-stream is active can generate too many particles and cause drop in FPS (it does on my computer) - possible cause?

Cheers,
Brian

Dreams

Reaction score
Missing textures at Cape Canaveral

Hi BrianJ,

Thank you so much for the advice about the missing textures at Cape Canaveral. I followed your directions and now I have ground textures for my Saturn V !!! That has been bugging me for a long time. Thank you so much!! I just wanted to say also that I Absolutely Love all of your SpaceX files from Falcon Heavy and Falcon 9 to your LC-39A textures and Crew Dragon, I have them all !!!! Keep up the Great work.

Dale :thumbup: