Tutorial Epsilon's basic spaceflight concepts tutorials

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
This is a series of tutorials I'm making - a video camera, pen, and paper. :D
They cover some very basic concepts in very basic ways - perhaps not accurate, but enough to give some of the truly new people that boot in the rear that'll get 'em up to the next level of spaceflight. These are a work in progress - some of them don't make sense alone (though they -mostly- should...), but all of the concepts should tie together in the end.

A bit of thought on how I plan these videos out: I don't. All of this is done stream-of-conciousness. This matches well with certain styles of thinking, especially the people with ADD - but it also means that I often don't even remember what I've said on a video, either during or after. It's like a direct connection from the logic side of my brain to my mouth. Like an afterburner! :D

First video:
Second video:

More videos to come. Next up: Angle of Attack.

Last edited:

Epsilon

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Angle of Attack

The video's up! This one demonstrates some basic ideas behind exactly what Angle of Attack (AoA) is. If you like the tutorial vids, do me a favor and leave comments on the YouTube page or PM me. Also, if you notice any glaring errors (keeping in mind that I may not be 100% scientifically accurate in my descriptions, for the sake of simplicity), also PM me on here.

Angle of Attack

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Both of the last videos are "unavailable."

Also, any possibility of getting some tutorials on VFR spaceflight and navigating during instrumentation failures? :p

Epsilon

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, sorry, yes, sorted. It's a fresh video upload, so it'll still be a little while before it's available. I can view it, but it still says it's "still processing" up at the top.
Flying during "instrument failure" probably isn't something I'll cover until -way- later, if I cover it at all. I'm doing these tutorials to cover -basic- concepts. And by basic, I don't mean "How do I make it to orbit?", though I'll cover that later. By basic, I mean "What makes a plane fly?" or "What does PeA mean?"

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Loving your work Eppy. I am worried that your work will soon replace RTFM with WTFM (Watch the Fine Movies).

Behold noobs!!!! The power of the hands is upon us!

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Both of the last videos are "unavailable."

Also, any possibility of getting some tutorials on VFR spaceflight and navigating during instrumentation failures? :p

Oh boy! That's actually a really cool idea. VFR spaceflight, with the hud off, no MFDs, no clock, and no calculator. Obviously you couldn't rondezvous with other spacecraft unless you were really good, but an inefficent trip to the moon might be possible, as might getting into orbit and back again. Earth navigation would be greatly simplified with a good knowledge of geography of course.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In your first video you were right the first time. Air underneath the wing moves slower than that going over the top ;)

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You might wanna draw stuff bigger. You've got a whole piece of paper... no need to draw stuff small :p

And since these are the down to basics video, you might wanna explain some more.
A newbie to spaceflight will not know what retrograde is or what a "burn" is. There are also a lot of people that don't know the English terms and will be able to associate them to their native language words.

Also, you might wanna go more into technicalities *why* stuff happens. For example, not many people know how an orbit can exist... how spacecraft can fly around without keeping their engines online.

Epsilon

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
You might wanna draw stuff bigger. You've got a whole piece of paper... no need to draw stuff small :p

And since these are the down to basics video, you might wanna explain some more.
A newbie to spaceflight will not know what retrograde is or what a "burn" is. There are also a lot of people that don't know the English terms and will be able to associate them to their native language words.

Also, you might wanna go more into technicalities *why* stuff happens. For example, not many people know how an orbit can exist... how spacecraft can fly around without keeping their engines online.

I might try using a bigger pen, but I can't draw in the first place. If I can draw -really- tiny, people won't notice as much. Maybe. <_<

As far as the spaceflight terms, my bad. I totally didn't think about it - although I'm fairly certain that I pointed at "retrograde" when I was referring to it, and as far as that's concerned, there's a button on most ships that'll point you that way. :p "burn", on the other hand, agreed. I'll add an annotation on that.

In the first video you are explaining the bernoulli Principle
If anyone would like to know more try

http://home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html
or
http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aerojava/pic3-2.htm

Yeah, but I didn't want to muddy stuff up by referring to principles, etc. If someone wants to go from super-n00b (which is what these videos should be) to just sorta-n00b, they should be able to look -any- of these terms up on Wikipedia and roll from there with it.

In your first video you were right the first time. Air underneath the wing moves slower than that going over the top ;)

:censored:
I knew I screwed that one up one way or another. <_<

Kelpie

Lunar Pilot
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.d.dmaclean.btinternet.co.uk
Yeah, but I didn't want to muddy stuff up by referring to principles, etc. If someone wants to go from super-n00b (which is what these videos should be) to just sorta-n00b, they should be able to look -any- of these terms up on Wikipedia and roll from there with it.
Understood, the post was a general pointer for anyone reading this thread that wanted to know more.

Epsilon

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
We've got another one!

This isn't one of my traditional "handy" videos, but it's a tutorial vid nonetheless. This one lets y'all see my rather... unique re-entry method, from 1000km altitude. The concepts can be applied whether you're coming in at just above orbital velocity, or from a hyperbolic trajectory - keep in mind that while the airframe of the XR2 -will- handle up to 16km/s in an atmosphere, it will void your warranty. <_<

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/7526398"]Reentry Tutorial from 1000km altitude on Vimeo[/ame]