Misc ENB Series for Orbiter D3D9

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently posted a few screenshots about my attempt on getting ENB to work with Orbiter and the D3D9 client (since D3D7 (inline) client cannot be supported).

Down below this post you will find release candidate of the work, simply download, and extract all to your Orbiter folder.

You will find in here:
- "enbpalette.bmp" : This is a custom palette that will somewhat add a "dynamic exposure" effect along with the bloom.

- The "ENB Palettes" folder in the Utils folder: Allows you to change the palettes as you like, and add another ones.

- "enbseries.ini" : Main configuration file. Contains every parametrable effect applied by ENB to Orbiter. This is where you can enable/disable bloom if you don't like it: just find "EnableBloom" under "EFFECTS" and set the value to 0, then restart the simulation.

- "d3d9.dll" (Under Modules\Server) : This is the D3D9 wrapper that goes in "Modules\Server". It doesn't replace anything, it just hooks D3D functions and add eyecandiness.

As a separate download, I put the enbpalette.psd file that provides ways to create new palettes.

Screenshot time ! (Unedited obviously)
vkg8bna.png

sE1pZlx.jpg

QCrBCct.jpg

AgaA6ux.jpg

KrR0iXh.jpg

DOWNLOAD !
Updated documentation

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
After messing around some more here I got 3 good looking palettes:

enbseries_d3d9_palettes.jpg

I'm working on a little app that will easily manage the palettes and will let you choose the one you want.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I brightened the image a bit because the previous palette would darken cockpit elements a lot. So I did these 3.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Maybe a moderator can edit this thread's title including some reference to D3D9?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Overexposure: The Addon.

Hey man, life is overexposed. ;)

I think it looks nice, not terribly excessive, although the washout on the planets could stand to be slightly tuned down IMO.

How exactly was this done, modification of D3D9 client specific files?

:hailprobe:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
How exactly was this done, modification of D3D9 client specific files?
No. Wrapping Direct3D library functions in a locally placed DLL which is loaded by the D3D9Client instead of the original DirectX library (i.e. d3d9.dll), and injecting post processing shaders from there.

The same thing could be added in the Client without any wrappers (because the client's source is open).

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No. Wrapping Direct3D library functions in a locally placed DLL which is loaded by the D3D9Client instead of the original DirectX library (i.e. d3d9.dll), and injecting post processing shaders from there.

Ahh, that sounds interesting. I might like to try messing with it sometime this summer if I can figure out how it works. So this is overwriting DirectX functions, essentially?

The same thing could be added in the Client without any wrappers (because the client's source is open).

I would certainly applaud it as a optional feature. Hopefully Jarmonik will include it.

Nice work Solarliner! :)

:hailprobe:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe a moderator can edit this thread's title including some reference to D3D9?

Oops! Looks like I forgot to put it. Correction done ;)

Well, this might be interesting, but having zero knowledge in graphics development whatsoever I find this easy enough to implement some pretty effects that are toggleable and/or editable easily enough by everybody.

Now having a full in-client is better and way more flexible, but I don't want Jarmonik to code a whole new part for in-screen effects, where ENB offers a free, working product. I think if this becomes something "official" (which I doubt it will) is to have options for the effects on the Advanced options of the launchpad for easier and more intuitive access.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
FYI, the Readme PDF appears to be corrupted. Unable to open it.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to get the AO part of ENB Series working in Orbiter? Or is the bloom feature the only working feature of ENB Series?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's nothing more to get from D3D9 than the color frame. Not even a Z-depth. So no AO, unfortunately ...