Software Emulating Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Panels

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm in the process of making custom MFD panels using two 15" IBM 6636-AB2 monitors with Raspberry Pi and 18x18 / 24x18 mm momentary push buttons for controlling (2 screens, with 2 2MFD each).

For displaying MFD itself I use "VNCMFD" module (https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28474 ).

Question is, is it possible to emulate Thrustmaster Cougar MFD panels, which work with VNCMFD, using push-buttons and arduino? What codes should my buttons send to the PC to be acceded by the addon?
Or is there more elegant solution to eliminate Cougar MFDs at all?..

Little sneak-peek of the custom 3D printed MFD frame (WIP! No painted and wired yet! The ruler is for scale) - See attachment below.

Very appreciate your help!
Cheers! :cheers:

Attachments

• MFD frame WIP.jpeg
    MFD frame WIP.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Also, for better understanding, I'm attaching assembly drawing and circuit diagram of the module.

Everything is straightforward, except making VNCMFD add-on to accept my buttons and Arduino as TM Cougar MFDs .

Stay safe!:hailprobe:

Attachments

• UFS-MFD15-GA.pdf
    862.3 KB · Views: 27
  • UFS-MFD15-CD.pdf
    55.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes! I got it working!
Two days of learning and voilà! Using MMJoy software I decode button presses from Cougar panels and then realized that they are just a simple "game controller" and nothing more.
I've programmed my arduino with MMjoy firmware and set key matrix for both MFDs (26 buttons total).
In VNCMFD.ini file there is the line:
Code:
Joystick=F16 MFD 1
"F16 MFD 1" - it's just name of the USB device, so I've named my controller "PMFD01", corrected that line, mapped appropriate buttons and the way you go! It worked!

Both MFDs are accepting commands from one Leonardo board.
For prototyping I use a breadboard with small 12x12 mm push buttons and 2 10.1" tablets receiving MFD data via VNC.

Tomorrow I'll start to transfer hardware from the breadboard to real panels with single IBM monitor and good clunky 18x18 mm buttons :).

Stay safe!

Attachments

• test.jpeg
    test.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent, well done.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, if its not interfering too much. Or a tutorial after the project is finished.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, if its not interfering too much. Or a tutorial after the project is finished.

Indeed. Lack of good tutorials for beginners in Orbiter sim-pitting is a major pain in the rear..:)