Electronics

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
Getting close! almost 8 years later and I see the faint glow of the light at the end of the tunnel!

Rocket engine is finally stable! I havent had a catastrophic failure for over a year now. However there have been several premature shut-downs. Luckily I have been able to track them down and most have been software related. 2 of them where fuel related which required some simple redesigning. Im doing this all on my own. I had to learn how to code so my skills kinda stink which doesnt help but im getting better. However...

Guidance/science suit/engine electronics survivability <--- Is that even a word? has been a pain waaay worse than actually making an engine from scratch... It seems that a cold vacuum mixed with vibration has a horrible effect on electronics. All I know is im not Im not doing this right...

Could you guys point me in a direction where I could get information on this?

Thanks!

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Getting close! almost 8 years later and I see the faint glow of the light at the end of the tunnel!

Rocket engine is finally stable! I havent had a catastrophic failure for over a year now. However there have been several premature shut-downs. Luckily I have been able to track them down and most have been software related. 2 of them where fuel related which required some simple redesigning. Im doing this all on my own. I had to learn how to code so my skills kinda stink which doesnt help but im getting better. However...

Guidance/science suit/engine electronics survivability <--- Is that even a word? has been a pain waaay worse than actually making an engine from scratch... It seems that a cold vacuum mixed with vibration has a horrible effect on electronics. All I know is im not Im not doing this right...

Could you guys point me in a direction where I could get information on this?

Thanks!

Hi!

Sorry for long relply.

space electronics always fascinates me..:hailprobe:

In most cases electronics are in sealed container, which has thermal insulation, especially for outside mounted stuff. Each pcb is conformally coated and often whole space around it potted to minimize effect on components, solder joints and board itself from high osculations of a power flight

I remember one guy gave Dave Jones form the EEVBLOG whole interview about space electronic - here's playlist link -
Quite interesting stuff they discussed there.

I try to find some books or other reference material I got and let you know.

Cheers,
Phil.

Last edited: