Search Easy to use MFD?

Tycho

Reaction score
I really want to fly to mars, but I don't want to learn all of the complexities of IMFD. Is there an easy to use MFD (like LunarTransfer) that can get me to mars with just a few clicks, like LunarTransfer MFD, so all I have to do is launch in the proper window? Thanks.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
IMFD is probably the easiest way to get there, for me at least

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Frankly, if you don't want to learn IMFD or TransX you're going to have a hard time getting most anywhere.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are warp drives out there, but they defeat the point of Orbiter if that's all you're going to use.

Tycho

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I didn't mean that I was entirely against learning IMFD, I was just wondering if there was something simpler. But, what's the harm in learning a little bit more about spaceflight, right? By the way, Izack, good point, learning is the point of Orbiter. Here's to learning more about IMFD :thumbup:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I didn't mean that I was entirely against learning IMFD, I was just wondering if there was something simpler. But, what's the harm in learning a little bit more about spaceflight, right? By the way, Izack, good point, learning is the point of Orbiter. Here's to learning more about IMFD :thumbup:

OF user Tommy wrote a really nice tutorial about IMFD. It's itemized and walks you through basic flights. Mars is a tricky target for your first interplanetary trip, but with a bit of reading and practice you'll get it.

Tycho

Reaction score
Thanks, insanity, I'll have a look. :thumbup: I do have some knowledge about IMFD, but I primarily uses LunarTransferMFD and stuck around the Earth-Moon system, being an Apollo fan, but I have been messing around with Baxter's voyage lately.

cr1

Promoting vegetables in space
Reaction score
Mars is a tricky target for your first interplanetary trip, but with a bit of reading and practice you'll get it.

What would be a less tricky target for a first interplanetary trip?

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
AR81 has a pretty good tutorial for IMFD (for version 4.2.1) I haven't tried it with the 'latest' IMFD... 4.2.1 should still be available for download?
Regardless. It does a good job of explaining some of the hows-and-whys of the program, and there is an exercise (walkthrough) of a mission from LEO to Mercury. I used the same techniques to get from LEO to Venus and again to Mars.

[nomedia="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]Tutorial: Concepts for Interplanetary MFD 4.2.1[/nomedia]

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jarmonik/Orbiter.html

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
What would be a less tricky target for a first interplanetary trip?
I think the inner planets are a bit easier (Mercury and Venus), but Jupiter is actually the easiest because its large gravity makes missing it near-impossible. Mars throws up a couple challenges- its orbit is a a bit elliptical and its atmosphere is a pain (too thick to be ignored, too thin to be real useful).

Here's a nice link about the Martian orbit and the Earth's orbit for comparison.
http://windows2universe.org/mars/mars_orbit.html

Here is a great reference for when you should plan your journeys:
http://www.clowder.net/hop/railroad/sched.html

Remember that you can't just fly to Mars any old-time like you can the moon.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Mars is a tricky target for your first interplanetary trip, but with a bit of reading and practice you'll get it.
My first IMFD flight was following the tutorial in Go Play in Space, which brings you to Olympus Base. But then again, it actually explained all the steps, and more or less, why you're doing them, which was very nice.

Its for an older version of IMFD, but I'd suggest that tutorial, or the ones in the IMFD manual. The Go Play in Space tutorial includes some scenarios that break the mission up into pieces, so if you're having problems with Orbit Insert, or Base Approach, you can load a scenario right at that point. The IMFD manual includes playback tutorials, so its a little more interactive, which is always a plus.

Good luck Tycho :cheers:

Tycho

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys, I really do appreciate all of the helpful replies! I have plenty of reading and space-simming to do, my two favorite things! Once again, thanks to everyone :hello::cheers: