Installation Earth1962 version not available for Orbiter 2010?

dehat42

Reaction score
I've been looking at some of the addons recently, and wanted to try some of the earlier rocket systems, such as in the Mercury and Gemini programs. Their docs states that you have to have Earth1962 installed, but the docs for Earth1962 state that you can only use it with Orbiter 2006 version. Does that mean that Orbiter 2010 users are out of luck?

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
No. It means only that no fellow Orbiter had ported it yet to the 2010 format. :)

You can give it a shot: unzip a plain vanilla installation for Orbiter 2010, unzip Earth 1962 and see what happens. If something breaks, identify the failure and ask for help on Forum.

fort

Reaction score
Hello,

The most real problem with Orbiter - in terms of compatibility from one version to another - come with everything that is encoded as a dll (MFD, vessels, for example), if one have no access to sources.

For bases, Earth in 1962 as example, it is often easily adaptable from one version to another: matters of positioning on ground for example, or statements of cfg in Orbiter, when, from one version to another, the folders tree was modified, heads of cfg ( version...) and some tags like undershadow/shadow etc... Some things like that.

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi Dehat,

I wouldn't bother. Mercury does not work with orbiter 2010 anyway, so that is a complete non-starter. The two more recent gemini add-ons do, and there is no need for earth1962. Just edit the included scenarios to switch to the 'standard' earth:

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
System Sol (instead of Sol_1962)

dehat42

Reaction score
I had wanted to try something like the Space Race Complete scenario, but since it requires Earth1962, I guess I will have to delete it. Either that or do another install of Orbiter; I had downloaded some things for Wallops Island and the LADEE mission, but the pad and rocket are invisible and won't launch. Maybe I need an "Orbiter Addon Install Guide for Dummies"...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've still got an installation of Orbiter 2006 that I keep, just for older add-ons that I still enjoy.