Software earth l10 hangs

iam_inorbit

Entered the Orbit.
Reaction score
Website
www.astrofame.blogspot.com
I have downloaded Earth L10 addon from orbithangar. I hangs a lot, i have a core2duo,1gb ram,160 hd and all..., what will help me, i want to keep this addon it is cool.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
1 GB of RAM is marginal for L10 textures, especially if you have Vista; you really need more RAM to run those properly. The reason for the hang is because your system is swapping data in RAM out to the swapfile trying to make room to load the huge textures. The only way to fix it is to get more RAM for your machine.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
If you have a desktop then adding memory if quick and cheep. A laptop is a little more expensive and you don't generally have as many expansion slots.

My computer has 2GB RAM and it can run level 10 at 60 PFS with 10 external MFDs open no problem.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Will adding RAM increase one's framerate?
I thought only upgrading the video card would do that.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Adding RAM will not increase your framerate unless your machine is swapping RAM to/from disk while running Orbiter. If RAM is marginal the sim will studder while textures are swapped to/from disk, which is (I believe) what iam_inorbit means by "hangs a lot."

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The difference is that (according to his profile) iam_inorbit is running Vista, so 1 GB of RAM is insufficient to run those textures smoothly. However, like BJ said, RAM is quite inexpensive now.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
Yeah, I'm running Vista now too, with 4 GB RAM, and it runs worse than on that old laptop with XP. That is, it loads and Orbiter runs smoothly, but during the simulation I often see black tiles and have to wait some time, until they are loaded and displayed, and I had nothing like that under XP.

mattberg

Reaction score
Btw, does Screencapturing (with Fraps) need more Ram, Cpu or Gpu Power, or all of them?

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Btw, does Screencapturing (with Fraps) need more Ram, Cpu or Gpu Power, or all of them?

I'd like to know that as well. I just recently upgraded to a new system. Core2Duo 3.16 GHz, 4GB RAM, 512 MB GPU, WinXP and still, as soon as I start screencapturing in Orbiter, the FPS drops to about 4, which is a bummer, because I wanted to create an Orbiter video. :(

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
You need a little more RAM, a whole lot more CPU and a little bit GPU power.
You actualy don't need GPU power but bandwidth on the bus to actualy get the screen. What is really important is that you have speed on your harddrive to save the video.
The CPU power is used to compress the video so that a normal harddrive actualy can save the video.

With a system like that FordPerfect, you should be able to record at steady 60fps or more. I suspect there is some interference with the GPU driver or your harddrive is really really bad fragmented (or just incredibly slow)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
turning it to xp will fix this problem. i can see the textures but when i launch orbiter scenerio takes a long time to load and quit and hangs all my pc.

Of course it takes a long time to load. You have like 10x the textures (by size) to load, so it's going to take a lot longer.

What do you mean, "hangs all my pc"? Are you trying to do other stuff while running Orbiter? Stop. Run Orbiter full screen (T&L if possible) and don't do anything else with your computer.