Dune Miniseries

orbekler

Reaction score
As an absolute fan of Frank Herbert's Dune volumes, I wonder why I watched the Dune miniseries only recently.
I found them a little masterpiece and far better than the 1984 Flash Gordon-recycled David Lynch's Dune.
Since it passed something like almost 30 years since I read the whole saga, I can't remember perfectly all details, but this seems to me more faithful to the original story.
What do you think about?
Does anybody read/whatched Dune?
Here the Space Guild space fold:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
It's been like 10 years since I've read the Dune saga last time, and I've watched the miniseries a few years ago. Yeah, the miniseries is far closer to the books than the David Lynch's movie.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've read all of the Dune series written by Frank Herbert but not the books done by his son. I've heard that they aren't quite as good. The miniseries was far better than David Lynch's monstrosity. Have you seen the sequel Children of Dune? It's a composite of the books Children of Dune and Dune Messiah. Here in the US it was produced by the Sci-Fi Channel. They suggested that they would film some of the other books but as yet, no other films have been made.

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I kinda liked David Lynch's Dune. However, it is a Lynch movie. You're talking Eraserhead dude here, can't expect a conventional flick. I liked the steampunk-like tech, and I can see the miniseries paid homage to the original Spacing Guild Navigator sequence.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
As far as I remember the miniseries I watched had 6 parts, and it covered the Messiah and Children too.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Here it was released as two miniseries. Dune (3 episodes) in 2000 and Children of Dune (also 3 episodes) in 2003.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the Lynch version was closer to the heart of the novel, which was the play with religion and superstition in the epic.

The miniseries was some kind of lacking this, while visually more detailed and addressing more aspects of the story. I liked the Lynch version more, because it tried to make you think, while the miniseries just wants you to consume and be entertained...and you sure get this.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I really liked the Sci-Fi miniseries, the Lynch movie I thought was OK, but that they missed "so much" other stuff that was in the book. But then again many directors will say that they can't film the book, nobody would bother to see it.

In defense of the "new" book series by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson... After I read "Chaperhouse" I felt let down. I mean I wanted to say "What, that's it?". Frank Herbert died before he could finish out the story arc, and many years later after sorting through (and much study of notes), it was decided to tell "the rest of the story".
IMHO, what BenSisko heard was correct, they aren't as good, but they do complete the story. I enjoyed them enough, and they read much faster than the "original" books.