Do it yourself Name-A-Star gift project

Keatah

Reaction score
You folks know all about those name a star websites and radio advertisements, right? The ones where you pay bux deluxe and they send you some literature and charts and put your name (or giftee's name) on 'em and voila! You have a star named after you!

Well, of course, this is for entertainment purposes and has no real meaning aside from getting your name in a book in the Library of Congress or some other such prestigious sounding establishment. Some companies might put your name on a cd and blast it into orbit, thereby, somehow, making it more real.. But still..

So, what about a do-it-yourself version? Something where YOU take a couple of hours to come up with all the materials and designs and stuff.

I envision a typical kit consisting of something like this:
1- Find a star and edit Stellarium's database to display the name.
2- Put together Stellarium onto a DVD. (Include Orbiter and Celestia if the recipient is a real astro buff)
3- Use PrintShop or Picture It or one of those official-looking award makers and make a nice certificate. Frame it.
4- Print up something about the constellation your newly named star resides in, some starlore, stories, mythology, that sort of thing.
5- Print a spec sheet with all the numbers Stellarium displays in the upper lefthand corner. Make it look scientific and complex and official.
6- Make a few star charts, print them on card stock
7- Make a little laminated reference card on how to quickly start Stellarium and navigate clearly and concisely to the newly named star. This must be a simple 1-2-3 operation.
8- Include a basic astronomy guide. A book or something.
9- Get a nice folder with gold edges to put everything in, or a book giftbox of a sort.
10- Include some of those kid's silver award star stickers, like the "good job on your homework" thing.

You can do this deluxe kit for about 20-25 bucks, whereas to have it done on the internet would cost you over 200. And it wouldn't be as personalized as one that is hand made by you yourself. The perfect gift for someone that would know how to appreciate it!

What do you think? What should be eliminated or added? Or done differently?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Why change it?

You folks know all about those name a star websites and radio advertisements, right? The ones where you pay bux deluxe and they send you some literature and charts and put your name (or giftee's name) on 'em and voila! You have a star named after you!

Well, of course, this is for entertainment purposes and has no real meaning aside from getting your name in a book in the Library of Congress or some other such prestigious sounding establishment. Some companies might put your name on a cd and blast it into orbit, thereby, somehow, making it more real.. But still..

So, what about a do-it-yourself version? Something where YOU take a couple of hours to come up with all the materials and designs and stuff.

I envision a typical kit consisting of something like this:
1- Find a star and edit Stellarium's database to display the name.
2- Put together Stellarium onto a DVD. (Include Orbiter and Celestia if the recipient is a real astro buff)
3- Use PrintShop or Picture It or one of those official-looking award makers and make a nice certificate. Frame it.
4- Print up something about the constellation your newly named star resides in, some starlore, stories, mythology, that sort of thing.
5- Print a spec sheet with all the numbers Stellarium displays in the upper lefthand corner. Make it look scientific and complex and official.
6- Make a few star charts, print them on card stock
7- Make a little laminated reference card on how to quickly start Stellarium and navigate clearly and concisely to the newly named star. This must be a simple 1-2-3 operation.
8- Include a basic astronomy guide. A book or something.
9- Get a nice folder with gold edges to put everything in, or a book giftbox of a sort.
10- Include some of those kid's silver award star stickers, like the "good job on your homework" thing.

You can do this deluxe kit for about 20-25 bucks, whereas to have it done on the internet would cost you over 200. And it wouldn't be as personalized as one that is hand made by you yourself. The perfect gift for someone that would know how to appreciate it!

What do you think? What should be eliminated or added? Or done differently?

And why would the current (mostly Arabic/Greek origin) star names need to be changed? It's not like that naming Sirius the Probe Star :)hailprobe:) will help people easier to memorize it....:dry:

So why? And why do you intend to do this for profit? :facepalm:

Keatah

Reaction score
And why would the current (mostly Arabic/Greek origin) star names need to be changed? It's not like that naming Sirius the Probe Star :)hailprobe:) will help people easier to memorize it....:dry:

So why? And why do you intend to do this for profit? :facepalm:

Ohh not really. Frakking profitmongers.. Money this - money that. I suppose I can't blame everybody for watching how money exchanges hands in this economy. Don't assume I'm doing this for any sort of profit. I originally said it would be a hand-made gift. If I was going to mass produce something like this I wouldn't include the software I mentioned! That's pretty much a no brainer! I doubt the authors would approve so I wouldn't even bother. Not exactly worth the time and effort vs. a direct tangible reward.

I was thinking of putting together a giftset for 3 people. 2 little girls to get them interested in astronomy and stuff like that. They're just learning about the 9 planets and what stars are and how big space is.

And then one for the lady, except it would be one part of a series of gifts, that are clues. Clues that take you on a treasure hunt across town and across country and at the end of a successful search she'd find the keys to a Mercedes.

I love showmanship and grand entrances and that sort of thing. Perhaps this is wrong forum to discuss things like this:shrug:

I can already see where this is gonna go. I'll discuss it elsewhere. Mods can wipe the topic.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
...Perhaps this is wrong forum to discuss things like this:shrug:...

Where else other than the basement?

It's whole lot cheaper the the so-called "International Star Registry", and better motivation behind it too as far as I can see. How old are the girls?

My wife once asked me if I wanted a star named after me, I gave her the same blank stare she gives me on occasion. I told her don't waste her money and that it was essentially a rip off. Her paying the "registration fee" or whatever could buy us a bottle of nice wine, we could go out in the backyard at night, lay down on a blanket, and uncork the wine. I could point out any star in the sky and declare "That one, that one is mine."

I'd have the same legal standing, with a lot less money spent. And if the wine led off to other things, well.... This is the basement after all.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd have the same legal standing, with a lot less money spent. And if the wine led off to other things, well.... This is the basement after all.

Basement, but not the Darkroom. Oh, behave! :lol:

I would naming stars far more interesting, if it would be really a name that will be used at all.

If you want to get your money invested for naming something official, buy your girl a hurricane.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Star naming programs are idiotic scams.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO8DU-Mz8sw&feature=player_embedded"]International Hollywood Star Registry - YouTube[/ame]

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've never heard about this "star naming" stuff before. It's worse than those people that "sell the Moon".

One of these days I ought to start the South Atlantic Real Estate Embassy. Hectare plots of the South Atlantic will go for $100. Don't ask me whether I actually own it and am therefore allowed to "sell" it to you. Don't ask me whether the ocean is in fact "Common Heritage of Mankind" and can't be bought or sold by any private citizen. Because I won't care; I'll just be trying to make a quick buck! :dry:

Keatah

Reaction score
Where else other than the basement?

It's whole lot cheaper the the so-called "International Star Registry", and better motivation behind it too as far as I can see. How old are the girls?

7 and 8

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Basement, but not the Darkroom. Oh, behave! :lol:

I would naming stars far more interesting, if it would be really a name that will be used at all.

If you want to get your money invested for naming something official, buy your girl a hurricane.

Do they make a list of names and put them in a hat, everytime a storm rolls around they pull from it??

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Do they make a list of names and put them in a hat, everytime a storm rolls around they pull from it??

I think it's a rotating list. I know names get recycled, but the big ones (Katrina, Hugo, Andrew and Wilma) have probably been retired.

If you think that the girls will be inspired to learn a bit from such a small investment, then by all means, full speed ahead. They are the perfect age to soak up new information.

Do you have a telescope? It's too late to get really good views, but next time Jupiter gets close, have them take a look at it. My 17 year old got a kick just looking at it night after night tracking the moons 'round. And that was just through a semi-decent pair of binoculars.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Saturn is even more astounding to get views of in my opinion. This month and next month would be the best time to get some views of it. Mars would also be a good target.

Keatah

Reaction score
http://www.patobriens.com/patobrien..._pat1.asp?pid=652&id=17&crc=33333333333333333

Mix with rum. I'm not much of a wine guys anyhow.

Wait a minute... Keys to a Mercedes? That's worth playing a scavenger hunt. New or used? I'm a bit leery regarding used Mercs. Too much Top Gear perhaps.

A new e550. Now we're older it's time to move up. I agree with too much Top Gear. We buy new cars and keep them for a very long time. Recouping the investment over and over. I had a new car I kept for 17 years. And with the price amortized over time it came to be like 700 bucks a year for totally reliable transportation. You know the service history, you know when there's a problem, you know how to fix it.

If you think that the girls will be inspired to learn a bit from such a small investment, then by all means, full speed ahead. They are the perfect age to soak up new information.

Do you have a telescope? It's too late to get really good views, but next time Jupiter gets close, have them take a look at it. My 17 year old got a kick just looking at it night after night tracking the moons 'round. And that was just through a semi-decent pair of binoculars.

Probably.. they're into maps and charts and graphs and stuff like that right now. Disappointingly I've not been able to get them interested in electronics, even stuff that blows up.

I've got a basic Celestron C8 from the 1970's, parents paid about 900 and change for it and some accessories and it quickly became a hand-me-down to me. I haven't thought about replacing it yet. In fact, I'd probably hang on to it for sentimental value and any new scope I acquire would work beside it so to speak. Now that you got me going on about telescopes. I'd love to see some of the early 70's and 80's catalogs Celestron published. I've got all the Estes Model Rocket catalogs in .PDF and would like to do the same for Celestron.

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

http://www.scopereviews.com/C8History.html
http://astronomyasylum.com/c8.html

Like an idiot I remember making paper airplanes out of the catalogs, and putting micro-sized model rocket engines on them. Thinking that pictures of space should go back to space!