Support DGIV Question/maybe problem.

Technicalk3rbal

Reaction score
So I recently downloaded Orbiter for the first time after watching few videos and tutorials, and decided to download a few "required" addons as well. These included Sounds and DGIV(Which, I'm assuming from my limited experience, is the Delta Glider 4, and if it isn't, please correct me). However whenever I launch the DGIV I only the the bare-bones HUD display, not the fancy internal-cockpit view as seen in multiple videos. I've tried the Ctrl plus Down key, but to no avail.
Please help?

Castor

Reaction score
You have to use the F8 key to toggle the cockpit view first.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Dan's DG-IV doesn't have a virtual cockpit, but there are multiple cockpit panels to work from.

When the scenario starts you should see the "dashboard", there is an upper and lower console to view using the [Ctrl] with the up or down keys. [F8] cycles between the generic cockpit view (hud with 2 MFDs and the autopilot buttons along the bottom), and the "inside" view that you should see from the cockpit.

Out of curiosity, what scenario are you running?

Technicalk3rbal

Reaction score
Thanks, both of you, and any scenario, but the first one and the one I've mainly been trying to use is the KSC to ISS one recommended in Tex's tutorial video, don't know the name exactly as I am not at my PC right now.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
From my experience it launches with the controls showing. :hmm: by that I mean the PROGRAM launches showing internal view

Technicalk3rbal

Reaction score
I tried F8, it did nothing also, in the external view I cannot see the ship, aand have the same problem with all DGIV scenarios.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Are you running the DX9 client? Can you post some screenshots showing what you can see? Do other vessels work (like, for example, the stock DG)? Can you give us the name of a specific scenario you've tried?

Technicalk3rbal

Reaction score
Are you running the DX9 client? Can you post some screenshots showing what you can see? Do other vessels work (like, for example, the stock DG)? Can you give us the name of a specific scenario you've tried?
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the DX9 client? I'll post screenshots next time I can play, the stock DG and shuttle Atlantis both work, and none of the scenarios with the DGIV function.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the DX9 client? I'll post screenshots next time I can play, the stock DG and shuttle Atlantis both work, and none of the scenarios with the DGIV function.

The D3D9 is a DirectX9 client for Orbiter. (By default, it uses DX7.) It adds a bunch of visual features to Orbiter. There's also a WIP DX11 client available. You can download D3D9 here: http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/ If you install D3D9, be sure to start Orbiter using Orbiter_ng.exe instead of Orbiter.exe, and enable the D3D9 client in the Modules tab before running a scenario. (Orbiter_ng.exe is the Orbiter executable with the default graphics client removed so that other clients can be used for rendering.)

It shouldn't matter though, DGIV will work without the D3D9 client; it just won't be as pretty. Another thing to check, while we're waiting for screenshots, is to verify that you ran the DGIV installation as an administrator and that you're running Orbiter as the same. Please also verify that you're trying to run scenarios under "DeltaGliderIV->Earth Scenary [sic]". Specifically, try the scenario "Landed KSC departure to ISS". That way we have a common basis for troubleshooting.

Technicalk3rbal

Reaction score
The D3D9 is a DirectX9 client for Orbiter. (By default, it uses DX7.) It adds a bunch of visual features to Orbiter. There's also a WIP DX11 client available. You can download D3D9 here: http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/ If you install D3D9, be sure to start Orbiter using Orbiter_ng.exe instead of Orbiter.exe, and enable the D3D9 client in the Modules tab before running a scenario. (Orbiter_ng.exe is the Orbiter executable with the default graphics client removed so that other clients can be used for rendering.)

It shouldn't matter though, DGIV will work without the D3D9 client; it just won't be as pretty. Another thing to check, while we're waiting for screenshots, is to verify that you ran the DGIV installation as an administrator and that you're running Orbiter as the same. Please also verify that you're trying to run scenarios under "DeltaGliderIV->Earth Scenary [sic]". Specifically, try the scenario "Landed KSC departure to ISS". That way we have a common basis for troubleshooting.
I ran everything as an admin and have been running it mostly from that scenario.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Please run one DGIV scenario, exit and post the contents of your Orbiter.log between
Code:
  tags. You can find the Orbiter.log in your Orbiter root directory. 
If you can't see the file extensions, you'll notice that you have two text files named Orbiter in your Orbiter directory. One of them is the .cfg file (should be before the Orbiter.exe) and the other one is the log file (should be right after the Orbiter.exe). Hovering the mouse cursor over either of them and one should read as a CFG file, while the other as a text file. What we need is the contents of the text file, [U]after you've exited Orbiter[/U] while running one of the problematic DGIV scenarios.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
We are 15 posts in this thread and still don't have the Orbiter.log we finally have the log.

Code:
**** Orbiter.log
Build Jun  6 2010 [v.100606]

Please upgrade to Orbiter version 100830. That's Orbiter 2010-P1, which is the Orbiter version the DGIV has been compiled for.

You can use the upgrade from here.
Once you download it, place it in your Orbiter directory and unzip it, maintaining directory structure. This will upgrade from version 100606 to 100830.

After that's done, run the scenario again. If you still have a problem post the contents of the new Orbiter.log

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
No prob, glad that was an easy fix. In the future, if you run into a problem with Orbiter, always post the log file. It makes it much easier for the rest of us to figure out what's wrong.

For the D3D9 client:
Get it from here http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/ and unzip the contents in your Orbiter directory. Then run Orbiter_ng.exe, go to the modules tab and activate the D3D9 client.

You may want to change some things (ie resolution) in the Video Tab and create symbolic links (in the Video→advanced) if you have an older version of Orbiter Sound.

You can find more info on the D3D9 client here.