General Question DeltaGliders, DeltaGliders everywhere!

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
I was wondering- What's with all the DG's incarnations?
As I understand it, there are four main ones- the default Delta Glider, Delta Glider XR-1, DGIV and DGIII. What are the differences and unique properties of them, are are there any more of them?

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Default DG is an indestructible physics-defying demonstration intended to serve as a tutorial craft for new players, default craft for the demo scenarios, and to help modders understand how the system works.‎

XR-1 is part of the excellent Altea Aerospace XR series. It uses the same model as the default DG but with fairly realistically modeled damage simulation and more complex and challenging flight controls, with optional modifications to make it more or less realistic. It's a great spacecraft, though I strongly recommend the XR-2 Ravenstar instead, as it's even more lovingly crafted with even better features.‎

DGIII and DGIV are part of Dan's series of addons, with the DGIV being a direct sucessor to the DGIII. In a very similar vein to the XR-1, it features realistic damage simulation (with actual destruction, so you at least get to watch it burst into debris and become a pretty fireball when you mess up), life support, options to make it more or less realistic to fly, and so on, with an excellent UI module for setting it up in the scenario editor. It's a lot of fun to fly, and I really recommend it alongside the XR-2 if you want to have a challenging futuristic spacecraft to play around with.‎

Also if you like big spacecraft, try out the Delta Glider EX. Haven't used it myself, but it's apparently one of the more popular addons, at least as of the last time I checked Orbit Hanger.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If you try the DGEX, turn your sound up. Really loud. It's awesome (and I don't think the wife has yet forgiven me for shaking pictures off the wall)

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
One more thing

I just found out about another one- the DG mk.2 where does that come in? My guess is that the Mk.1 is that wierd blobby thing from orbiter 021202 and earlier. Also, what would you recommend for a typical intermediate level orbinaut like me?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Either the DGIV or XR-1 would be fine for a beginner. Both have some really good autopilots (some doing the same thing, but different).

In my Orbiterverse, the XR-1 was a modified DGIV (or III since it was so long ago) to be used as a test bed to prove the systems that were used in the XR-2 (and she is sweet!) and the XR-5 (large cargo hauler). The XR-1 doesn't have a cargo bay, but does have a virtual cockpit (if you are in to that kind of thing).

The DGIV is typically everyones workhorse. With a few mouse clicks and numpad entries you can get from a Earth based landing platform to LEO hands free.

Either craft paired up with BasesyncMFD and AerobrakeMFD used alongside their respective autopilots can easily bring a pilot in to the recovery runway of their choice. The actual landing though is up to you :thumbup:

Check the tutorials page for some links to a video by Tex (peculiar to the DGIV) and another by Oceanic (again using a DGIV but the priciples are the same for using the XR fleet).

The XR... You will have to fly it to orbit, it's not difficult to do if you follow the guidlines in the manual. If you stay in the altitude zone that the scramjet likes you can safe a ton of "conventional" fuel to be used elsewhere in the mission.

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
I see. Is it true that O2010-P1 comes with the XR-1 preinstalled? When I look in the DG manual, It's the one used for the XR-1. Also, even though this isn't exactly the main topic, are there any high-quality textures for the default Mir?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not to muddy the water even further, but once you get comfortable flying and landing the XR series of craft, or the DGIV, take a look at the Arrow Freighter, developed by DanSteph of DGIV fame. You can tuck an XR-1, XR-2 or DGIV in the cargo hold during interplanetary flight and use it as a landing craft on other planets/moons. The Arrow is UCGO compatible, and it consumes resources just like the DGIV. It's a lot of fun.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Basically, the stock DG in Orbiter is the Deltaglider mk??. It was simply the deltaglider, but got improved with every edition of orbiter, so underwent some versioning. Basically, all DGs with "mk" after the name are the same thing in different iterations. 2010 Had the mkIV, and 2016 will presumably present the mkV.

The DG-s is a spin-off of the default DG with scram-engines. It uses the same mesh as the XR-1, but is a very different vessel. I'm not sure when it was introduced into the stock orbiter installation, but presumably we will see it go through some iterations too... :shifty:

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
So, the DGIV and the DG Mk.IV are two different things?

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

This is like apple's product line in the mid 90's.

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
When I boot up orbiter, it calls the DG "DG Mk.III" in the scenarios. What the hell is this? This is nuts! how many DGs must there be?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As I said, the Mks are iterative improvements. Basically, always take the newest one. The DGIV and XR-1 offer a similar feature set to each other but implement them completely differently, so are two very different birds. Try them both and see what you like. The DG-s... well, admittedly I don't know much about the DG-s. I assume it's a MkIV with scrams?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The DG-s... well, admittedly I don't know much about the DG-s. I assume it's a MkIV with scrams?
Pretty much. I haven't noticed any major differences between the two other than the scramjet.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Pretty much. I haven't noticed any major differences between the two other than the scramjet.

I believe the main propellant mass was reduced a bit in favor for SCRAM propellant, which can be a bit annoying if you plan longer-range missions with refueling in space.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
As already said by others, the default DGs included with Orbiter are nice but simplistic ships, without any damage implementation, so although they're good to newbies, you risk learning bad habits if you stick with them.

Head over to Altea Aerospace webpage and download the excellent XR Fleet ships.
Or to Dansteph's page and download his beautiful DGIV (and UCGO for the Arrow Freighter). THEN you can learn a proper reentry.

:hailprobe:

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
As I asked earlier- even though this isn't exactly the main topic, are there any high-quality textures for the default Mir?

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Also- why does hailprobe.info somehow exist but not exist?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
As I asked earlier- even though this isn't exactly the main topic, are there any high-quality textures for the default Mir?

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Also- why does hailprobe.info somehow exist but not exist?

Not really, no. But there is a solution...

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2536"]Mir Space Station v.1.3[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3870"]MIR space station photo-realistic textures 1.0[/ame]
and if you want to fly the missions,
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4555"]Mir v1.3 scenarios patch[/ame]
You will need some additional downloads to fly the whole series. But if you are willing to cut/paste with a text editor you can make your own scenario using this instead of the "stock" MIR.