OHM Deep Space Dragon2

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Deep Space Dragon2 (moon).pngDeep Space Dragon2 (venus).pngDeep Space Dragon2 (asteroid).png

OrbitHangar download link
https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=7792ace7-f498-40c8-b23f-91ef574b9eb1

This addon is a variation for the excellent Dragon2 spacecraft by BrianJ.
It is a standard dragon2 with a powerful main engine in the trunk section using hydrazine and CTF(!!!) providing about 2400m/s dV for deep space or high earth orbit work.
ALMOST ALL OF THE CODE BELONGS TO BRIANJ!!! I ONLY ADDED THE MAIN ENGINE!
Many thanks to the FOI team for the main engine mesh and textures.

Required addons: (Only if you don't want CTDs...)
Crew Dragon
Falcon Heavy
Falcon 9R

(Strongly) Recommended addons:
OrbiterSound 5.0
LC-39A SpaceX
Lunar Transfer MFD & IMFD

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
This is a nice modification of the Crew Dragon! The scenarios are quite difficult to fly. Maybe you could include some intermediate scenarios, e.g. just before Lunar TLI burn?

On the propulsion: I looked up what is CTF ( Chlorine trifluoride ). Based on the descriptions given, I probably would not like to be in a vessel powered by this agressive and very corrosive agent.

I compared the available tank sizes within the trunk. If hydrazine / N2O4 was used instead, the dV would drop from 2400 m/s to 2000 m/s. That still might be sufficient for some deep space missions, using a popular hypergolic fuel. But thats just some theoretical musing.

DeepSpace D.jpg

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe you could include some intermediate scenarios, e.g. just before Lunar TLI burn?
Of course I can. Expect an update on Orbithangar soon! :)

On the fuel: I did consider something like MMH/N2O4, but I had just finished a book about rocket propellants and was quite interested in a spacecraft using CTF.
From the info I read, it seemed like most of the challenges/risks of CTF were in prelaunch prep; Prop system manufacture, S/C fueling, etc.
As you found, I could have much larger tanks in the available space, but the limiting factor is weight. FalconHeavy can just barely send this to TLI (and still recover the core).
2000 m/s dV would be sufficient for a lunar mission, but probably not for the other two.

What if I made this a scenario option to change the ISP? Wouldn't change the tanks mesh, though.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I think the propellant mass is not small, even for CTF. Will look into the numbers. As far as I remember, the ISP for CTF is like 3900 m/s, while for N2O4 it is only around 2900 m/s. This is a big difference and made it so attractive.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Update v1.2

CHANGELOG:
v1.0 - Initial Release
v1.1 - Fixed scenarios for BrianJ's FalconHeavy v211123 update
v1.2 - Added choice of oxidizer, mission scenarios, fixed quicksave after trunk jett bug

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Will look into the numbers. As far as I remember, the ISP for CTF is like 3900 m/s, while for N2O4 it is only around 2900 m/s. This is a big difference and made it so attractive.
Exactly. Just as you calculated, NTO gives about 2000m/s dV.