Problem dds textures make ship invisible

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Um, what the heck?

I have all my textures for my addon loaded and properly documented in the .msh file. When I first fired up a scenario to take a look, my vessel was not there (but the shadow was).

So, I commented out ( ; ) every texture but one in the .msh file. When I fired up Orbiter again, every part except the one with the texture was perfectly visible. It would seem that Orbiter renders my .dds textures as invisible.

I used GIMP 2.6 to convert the .bmps into .dds. The only thing I can think of is that the files somehow got corrupted along the way.

I'm really not sure what to do about this.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You too? I thought it was just me, I did it yesterday with a simple Flag mesh. Did pretty much the exact same thing as you. What modeler did you use and what converter?

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You too? I thought it was just me, I did it yesterday with a simple Flag mesh. Did pretty much the exact same thing as you. What modeler did you use and what converter?
I used anim8or to put it together and I used your anim8or3ds2mesh to spit out the .msh file.

I edited the .msh file and threw in some random textures that came with the Orbiter base package (such as the dock ring). Everything showed up fine. It's the textures I made that aren't showing up.

Anyone up for an invisible Boeing CEV? :dry:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used Wings3d, but other than that same thing. I'll play around some more with the script see if that's causing it. You might also try using *gasp* the command line to run 3ds2msh directly instead of through the script I wrote. I'll also throw on a default Orbiter texture. What's odd is that maybe two months ago I used the same system to export another of mine with only custom-made textures and haven't changed anything about the script since then.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I used Wings3d, but other than that same thing. I'll play around some more with the script see if that's causing it. You might also try using *gasp* the command line to run 3ds2msh directly instead of through the script I wrote. I'll also throw on a default Orbiter texture. What's odd is that maybe two months ago I used the same system to export another of mine with only custom-made textures and haven't changed anything about the script since then.
I never had a problem with it a few months ago, either. It's very weird. I'll try some troubleshooting and see if maybe it has something to do with the way the .dds files are being converted from .bmp.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My texture was .jpg to .dds so maybe something there. I won't be able to really start troubleshooting this until about 17:30 EDT, but if you're willing, then what I'd try next is re-downloading 3ds2msh and possibly GIMP and the GIMP plugin.
I did try command-lining 3ds2msh directly and got the same result.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with the different compression methods you can choose for DDS. The SDK contains a PDF which describes what options you should use.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with the different compression methods you can choose for DDS. The SDK contains a PDF which describes what options you should use.
GIMP did ask for what kind of compression during the conversion process, but I wasn't sure which to choose, so I left it at nothing. Which document within the SDK contains this information?

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

My texture was .jpg to .dds so maybe something there. I won't be able to really start troubleshooting this until about 17:30 EDT, but if you're willing, then what I'd try next is re-downloading 3ds2msh and possibly GIMP and the GIMP plugin.
I did try command-lining 3ds2msh directly and got the same result.
I am, in fact, using a newer version of GIMP than I did with my old addon. However, I believe I used a .dds converter at that time. (It does not work with x64 Vista, I'm afraid).

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Do you use your dll or spacecraft?
Sometimes custom dll could make ship invisible.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
GIMP did ask for what kind of compression during the conversion process, but I wasn't sure which to choose, so I left it at nothing. Which document within the SDK contains this information?

3DModel.pdf, section 4.3:
  • You should store the textures either in DXT1 compressed format (opaque textures or textures with binary transparency), or in DXT5 compressed format (for textures with continuous transparency).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Use the dxtex tool to convert pictures (if the one included with Orbiter doesn't work on Vista, just use the one included with the OS).

Make sure the alpha channel is correct, otherwise the transparency of your texture will be wrong.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
3DModel.pdf, section 4.3:
Ah, I see. I selected DXT5 as my compression in GIMP, but still no dice. Haven't tried DXT1 yet, though.

Use the dxtex tool to convert pictures (if the one included with Orbiter doesn't work on Vista, just use the one included with the OS).

Make sure the alpha channel is correct, otherwise the transparency of your texture will be wrong.
*head/desk* THAT's what I used. I completely forgot about dxtex. I'll need to give that a shot tomorrow.

---------- Post added 09-03-2009 at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-02-2009 at 09:01 PM ----------

Ok, I took one of my textures in .bmp format, loaded into dxtex, and had it spit out a .dds texture. And it WORKED! So, apparently Orbiter isn't happy with the way GIMP converted my .bmps, at least when I selected DXT1 compression.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'll also try this method as soon as I can. What's odd is that GIMP was working just fine not two months ago.
Was it a different version of GIMP? It was updated to 2.6 fairly recently but I can't remember the exact date.

Oh, and does anyone know if there is a way to smooth out the "crumpled paper" look that 3ds2msh produces? I do not want to use another mesh converter or to subdivide the faces.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Oh, and does anyone know if there is a way to smooth out the "crumpled paper" look that 3ds2msh produces? I do not want to use another mesh converter or to subdivide the faces.
There's a mesh property in Anim8or its called 'smooth angle' that attempts to show vertexes below that angle as smooth and continuous and those sharper than that as a visible crease.

I'm not sure what its called in other editors.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Was it a different version of GIMP? It was updated to 2.6 fairly recently but I can't remember the exact date.

I used the GIMP recently, and with success. I use it on Ubuntu 9.04, which has the GIMP version 2.6.6. But I think the version of the dds plug-in is more important. I downloaded that plug-in several months ago (I think even before I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04, so it's probably before may).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There's a mesh property in Anim8or its called 'smooth angle' that attempts to show vertexes below that angle as smooth and continuous and those sharper than that as a visible crease.

I'm not sure what its called in other editors.
3ds2msh doesn't preserve vertex normals.