Updates DARPA's ALASA Program

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
DARPA's Airborne Launch Assist Space Access (ALASA) program will attempt to provide the capability to launch a 100 lb satellite into space within a 24 hour notice period for less than $1,000,000. At least 12 orbital test flights are planned for 2016. Here is their press release.

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
"Perhaps the most daring technology ALASA seeks to implement is a new high-energy monopropellant"

Pretty daring and pretty cool stuff!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well there are 2 things that I doubt will happen as planned:

1. Like most other projects I doubt the first flight will happen this year or that they can fly 12 times by next year. There's a ground based rocket that is being developed by Aerojet and USAF ORS targeting the same requirements that should have flown by now from Hawaii, but has yet to happen.

2. Could they really hit the cost target? Keep in mind that while this caters more to the military, there are many small satellite launcher concepts out there right now (VG's LauncherOne, Firefly, Generation Orbit....) and I doubt most can even reach the flying stage. Also remember that the one air-launch concept that did flown had a much larger flight rate projected in the past. ;)

So....yeah let's see what will happen. :rolleyes:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The next step is developing a mass produceable satellite bus. Probably similar to the cubesat model except a lot cheaper.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
The launch vehicle itself will probably be the limiting factor for operational flights, because of production time/costs.

A fighter jet, on the other hand...there are a lot of them, so it shouldn't be.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
What useful payload needs to be launched in 24 hours and weighs less than 100 pounds?

All the NRO toys seem to be launched on the big birds.

Since when has a cubesat been needed to be launched in an emergency?

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
If there's no satellites scheduled to be over a certain target, maybe they can fill the gap with the little ones.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
If there's no satellites scheduled to be over a certain target, maybe they can fill the gap with the little ones.

They're trying to fill the role of the SR-71: rapid reaction times, unpredictable routes, and lower cost than the larger, more permanent satellites.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What useful payload needs to be launched in 24 hours and weighs less than 100 pounds?

All the NRO toys seem to be launched on the big birds.

Since when has a cubesat been needed to be launched in an emergency?

Wasn't there a program to develop a satellite that can be launched into orbit for "temporary battlefield awareness". Some sort of disposable reconissance/communication probe.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Haha I found the link: http://www.raytheon.com/news/feature/rms13_seeme.html

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
The ALASA LV configuration is kind of interesting. I keep thinking "Orion LAS" when I look at it. Why could those nozzles be in front, rather than at the aft, of that rocket?

Last edited:

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
I've tried flying F-15C just like that in a combat sim I have, straight up. I always end up stalling. :lol:. looks like a good idea!

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The ALASA LV configuration is kind of interesting. I keep thinking "Orion LAS" when I look at it. Why could those nozzles be in front, rather than at the aft, of that rocket?

That's more stable configuration - with center of mass behind thrust inertia keeps your trajectory straight.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Welll....in THAT video I think the ground facing telescope is pretty clear as payload

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Hey guys, I just tried out some F-15 maneuvering (the jet used in the video), and I was just going to simulate dropping the fuel tank as the external rocket. The simulator used is Lock On. I think that this concept design is a very good idea.

picture.php

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score

Stability, center of drag is behind the point of thrust.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The rocket itself shouldn't really be a problem. This kind of mission profile was used on the ASM-135 anti-satellite missile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

The rocket we're talking about here is more capable, yes, but the payload is small and the accelerations get to be very high, which increases efficiency.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Well, how much thrust is necessary? My record in the sim I was using for F-15 (again, the jet in the video) altitude with a vertical angle for rocket deployment was more than 80,000 feet. How high would the jet need to go to get the rocket into orbit?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's more stable configuration - with center of mass behind thrust inertia keeps your trajectory straight.
What's the difference between that and the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_rocket_fallacy"]pendulum rocket fallacy[/ame]?