Crossed planet rings

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi. For some time, I see planets with double rings, crossed like and X in some Artist's Impressions about space. My question: is this possible? Because the rings of a planetoid move at the same line with the planet's equator.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Hi. For some time, I see planets with double rings, crossed like and X in some Artist's Impressions about space. My question: is this possible? Because the rings of a planetoid move at the same line with the planet's equator.

Yes, it is possible. Look at the way sattelites orbit, not all of them are at the equator are they.

EDIT: I think you mean this:
double.jpg

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Possible in terms of physics? Probably, though one set of rings will have to be further from the planet than the other; if they both occupied the same radius, the particles in the two rings would collide with eachother.

Would it actually occur? Well, just as with stars, most of the mass in the accretion disk around a planet is at a certain angle- the same angle as the rotation of the planet. So that would encourage formation of rings on one plane, but as for off-plane rings?

I don't know, maybe it's possible through some sequence of events... but even then, it'd be unlikely.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'd say it would be possible as a man-made construction, very unlikely as a natural occurrence.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Why not?
Equatorial ring as regular formation, and a captured moon ground by roche limit while in polar orbit. With luck, there will be enough spacing between them to prevent collisions...

Actually, there would be three rings - natural, captured, and one in between out of particles that collided.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Another problem is how much the rings can actually last. Anyone know how much time the rings of, say, Saturn will stay there?