Question Crewed or Uncrewed missions?

bearnard98

Reaction score
Do you support crewed or uncrewed missions? Nowadays space technology is developing so rapidly as you can see. Personally, I support uncrewed missions. It's much easier and more important secure to send uncrewed missions ( we just don`t have to risk the crew) But still, there is a lot of important stuff in particular missions machines cannot do without humans
What do you think about that?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why not both? Humans have a lot of advantages compared to robotics, but they are also requiring a high price in form of life support. But a sane mixture between manned missions and robotics could achieve more than manned or unmanned alone.

bearnard98

Reaction score
Why not both? Humans have a lot of advantages compared to robotics, but they are also requiring a high price in form of life support. But a sane mixture between manned missions and robotics could achieve more than manned or unmanned alone.
Yeah, I do agree with you. Manned missions might be dangerous for the crew that is why I prefer robotic missions. But still, they have a large disadvantage, robotic ones are not so capable as manned missions and can less achieve ( as you have already mentioned )

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Manned missions might be dangerous for the crew that is why I prefer robotic missions.

If you think about it, everything is dangerous. Something more, something less, but if you have no illusions of the danger and risks, you can still survive.

Compared to the dangers of travelling at sea in the 16th century, spaceflight is great.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This is a very old question that has been hotly debated for years.

Personally, I think crewed exploration is the way to go. As far as science goes, a crewed mission can analyze and return significantly more science than an uncrewed mission.

Also, there's that long term survival of the human species aspect that SpaceX is banking on. It really is a good idea not to put all your eggs in one basket.

Pioneer

Reaction score
Here's my thoughts. In regards to Mars, no more probes, and let's finally send people. We have had too many probes sent there over the past decade and have completely neglected the ice giants for so long, it's criminal.

Overall, within the inner planets and the moon, we should start sending people, and focus our probe missions more on the outer planets.

Star Voyager

Failed Addon Developer
Reaction score
Absolutely manned. Both are necessary for exploration but manned is way more significant to a wider audience. The Indy 500 or Daytona 500 would be boring with drones and robots.

Last edited:

bearnard98

Reaction score
Here's my thoughts. In regards to Mars, no more probes, and let's finally send people. We have had too many probes sent there over the past decade and have completely neglected the ice giants for so long, it's criminal.

Overall, within the inner planets and the moon, we should start sending people, and focus our probe missions more on the outer planets.
There is one significant problem in sending people to the red planet. It` how to get the crew there. I mean fuel issue is not figured out yet, and we still don`t know how to take an appropriate amount of petrol to get there and return the crew back.