New Release Crew Dragon DM2

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Totally up to you! If you have an updated version for the "Crew Dragon DM2", it would seem logical to do so.
If losing the old "Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016" is a major problem for you, we can keep it. :)
The replacement is here: Much nicer and some extra features: :cool:
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/deep-space-crew-dragon.140/

Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016 is a dependency of my old addon. As I said, it's obsolete now, so no need to keep Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016 up.
I will take it down to avoid version confusion. (y)

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Looking forward to the 'Crew Dragon 2022'! I think this will be a good representation of the - still growing - fleet of Crew and Cargo Dragon capsules.
___
I did some manual high-speed rentries recently. Looking for the perfect periapsis aim-point (like 60 km) would be easier if a lift-drag behaviour would be in the documentation. Questions:
  • Does the Crew Dragon (DM2) has an offset center of gravity, to provide some lift during rentry?
  • Is this somehow modified with the 'Ballast' value?
  • Which direction is 'up' for this lift? Is it towards the side hatch, or towards the crews' heads?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking forward to the 'Crew Dragon 2022'! I think this will be a good representation of the - still growing - fleet of Crew and Cargo Dragon capsules.
___
I did some manual high-speed rentries recently. Looking for the perfect periapsis aim-point (like 60 km) would be easier if a lift-drag behaviour would be in the documentation. Questions:
  • Does the Crew Dragon (DM2) has an offset center of gravity, to provide some lift during rentry?
  • Is this somehow modified with the 'Ballast' value?
  • Which direction is 'up' for this lift? Is it towards the side hatch, or towards the crews' heads?
Hi,
1. Yes, it should maintain a -170deg AoA (-Z axis 10deg below velocity vector, heads up) and give a bit of lift.
2. No, the ballast simply adds mass to the vessel.
3. Lift is in +Y direction (towards crew's heads).

The L/D is ~1/4 (roughly Apollo-ish I hope), so if you can "fly" the Apollo capsule, this should respond in something like the same way (?).

Right - I better get on with my add-on "housekeeping" :)

Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Done!

This add-on now renamed to "Crew Dragon 2022" v.221126
The old "Crew Dragon for Orbiter2016" retired.

This add-on now includes scenarios for Pad Abort test, FalconHeavy launch(fictional), DM1, DM2, Inspiration4.
Includes Inspiration4 variant with viewing cupola.

Scenarios and Doc folders names changed to "Crew Dragon 2022", other folders remain "DM2".

Cheers,
Brian