Problem Consistant loading

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm not fully sure were to put this thread but here seemed the most better reason.
Ocassionally when i'm switching from scenario from scenario i get a CTD but when i re-load it i don't.
If that's not a good description of things please dont be shy to say :lol: and if someone has a solution to this please help.
Ryan.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What addons (extra MFDs) are you using?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
  • Does "occasionally" mean the every other time you try to run those scenarios?
  • Is Orbiter crashing only when you load another scenario without closing the Launchpad?
  • Is it still crashing when you close and reopen the Launchpad and then run the scenario?
  • Does changing Orbiter shutdown option in "Extra" tab, "Debugging options -> Orbiter shutdown options" to "Respawn Orbiter process" fix those crashes?

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I had this probelm once.
But if it is the same problem, try changing your "Orbiter shutdown options" setting to "Respawn Orbiter process".

Access that by clicking on the "Extra" tab in the launchpad and going to "Debugging options".

Hope that works as well for you as it did for me. :thumbup:

Darren

Edit: Damn, Ninja'd. :ninja:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
This could be caused by modules not properly cleaning up between simulation runs, and starting the next session with invalid parameters.

Can you reproduce the problem without using any modules, and if not, can you identify the module(s) that cause the problem?

In particular legacy (2006) addons might be prone to this problem, because the default shutdown behaviour for the 2006 edition was "terminate and respawn", which would have masked many cleanup-related bugs. You should be able to work around the problem by switching the shutdown method (under Extras/Debug/Shutdown) from "De-allocate memory" to "terminate and respawn".

Can I remind addon developers that you should always test your addons under as many different simulation conditions as possible, to eliminate obvious bugs. This includes:

• Testing multiple consecutive simulation runs both with "de-allocate memory" and with "terminate and respawn" shutdown options
  • MFD modules should be robust to vessels being deleted (e.g. while targetted in any way by the MFD)
  • Likewise, vessel modules should tolerate instances being deleted and created during the simulation
  • Vessel modules should allow a (nominally) unlimited number of instances being created, and there should be no unintentional crosstalk between them (e.g. due to shared variables).
  • etc.
Obviously, this is only a small selection of potential problem spots. The more different situations you test your addon under, the more reliable it will be when released in the wild (a good idea if you don't want to be swamped with bug reports afterwards).

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, is there any way to automate this "stresstest" procedure, to make non-compliance detection more assured?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hmm, is there any way to automate this "stresstest" procedure, to make non-compliance detection more assured?

Yes, I call them "Beta testers".

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My apologies, your R2D2 has got enough intelligence to be a beta tester, while my C3PO... well... the Force knows...