Considering building a Sugar/KN03 Rocket - Quick Question

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
even electrical signs with a wire sticking out got 911 calls. ppl thought the wire sticking out meant it was a bomb....

"it looked like an improvised explosive device" is what they said. im willing to bet they just learned that phrase on TV

Ark

Reaction score
even electrical signs with a wire sticking out got 911 calls. ppl thought the wire sticking out meant it was a bomb....

"it looked like an improvised explosive device" is what they said. im willing to bet they just learned that phrase on TV

An improvised explosive device looks like five or six 20-year-old artillery shells wired to a kitchen timer. :p

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
An improvised explosive device looks like five or six 20-year-old artillery shells wired to a kitchen timer. :p
and you honestly expect 90% of americans to realise that?:rofl:

maybe they should teach demolitions in school so ppl actually know what to look for

tori

Reaction score
Don't ever grind KNO3 with anything flammable (like sugar) in a grinder. I did that once and that was just about the last time I've seen my shack. Or my chest hair. Bad idea.

I'm using a KNO3/sucrose based propellant made by dissolving 74:36 KNO3:sucrose in hot water and then removing it, either by boiling it out or drying.

The advantage over melting it is that this way you actually dissolve both chemicals and mix them together, as opposed to melting sugar and KNO3 pebbles (no matter how well you grind it, it's still huge crystals).

The resulting composition can be melted into a sticky slush that can be easily shaped and processed into a grain. When it hardens it's relatively brittle, so the motor must be pre-heated before ignition (or use a plastifier, but that will reduce the Isp). In a bates grain config the measured Isp is around 140 s.

If you need a slower burning grain, add approx. 1 ‰ of Fe2O3 (red iron ox.) to paint the grain dark red. That way the IR heat front propagation will be slower and the core will burn slower. Uncolored grains are white and translucent like wax.

Art

Reaction score
http://www.jamesyawn.net/skillet/large/index.html

Follow this recipe if you are wise. It is safe. I use a modified version of this method, utilizing a smooth-top ceramic stove (yes, outside) and stirring CONSTANTLY to make the process much faster and render more elastic fuel.

I have a great recommendation: Use commercial ignitors!

Next best thing, take 18 gauge duplex wire, use a few strands of the wire tomake an ignition coil as you can see in many demonstrations online. From personal experience, they don't really need blackpowder "assists".

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
so if u wanted some cool pyrotechnics you could leave it in the skillet until it flashed over. better make sure theres no trees around