Zero Hour Expansion

What's scary is this:

Code:
The GLA campaign then begins, with the organization 
trying to recover from its recent setback at the hands of the 
Chinese by raising funds and instigating attacks against their
 American and Chinese antagonists, eventually culminating in
 [B]the overtaking of the Baikonur Cosmodrome and the firing
 of a Soyuz rocket bearing a biological MIRV at an unnamed city[/B].

Also, does anyone play?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
LOVE IT!!!!

Generals was a good return to the real-time combat game that these guys made famous.
I've got the whole C&C collection, and it was headed downhill in a fashion until Generals/Zero hour made the scene.

If you play Red Alert, you need to keep in mind it is supposed to be campy. Not to be taken serious at all.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only RTS I ever really enjoyed was "Z" (and that mostly because it was simply hilarious). I'm functioning strictly turn-based, I'm afraid...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
One of my all-time favorite RTS games! Arguably one of the best in the series. I have spent many, many hours on it, though I haven't played it in a long time. I also have Zero Hour.

Red Alert was also a favorite of mine back in the day. After playing it for a while and beating all the missions, I found out about the rules.ini file, and let's just say, I had fun with it. In my world, only the US had spies, they all carried Tonya's magnums, and my dogs all had rocket launchers. Fun times.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I remember flooding the enemy base with sooooo many tanks :lol:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's it. I will have to go home tonight and dig out my disks. I'm sitting here finishing up my lunch and can hear the construction dozer in my head saying "Wanna make some improvements?"

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Some of the voice acting was pretty humorous. I really did like the commando after offing a dude... "Heh! That was left handed."

And the engineers with "A little C-4 knockin' at your door."

Tommy

Reaction score
I have the box set somewhere, haven't played it in a while, but C&C was one of the best games I ever had for the PS1.

If you like this genre, try Warzone 2100. It's free, has similar gameplay (but quite a bit more advanced in some ways), and still being improved.

http://wz2100.net/

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'm more of a World in Conflict guy...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
LOVE IT!!!!

Generals was a good return to the real-time combat game that these guys made famous.
I've got the whole C&C collection, and it was headed downhill in a fashion until Generals/Zero hour made the scene.

If you play Red Alert, you need to keep in mind it is supposed to be campy. Not to be taken serious at all.

I beg to differ. Generals is where Command & Conquer series got a bullet to its head.

When the old Command & Conquer and Red Alert first came out, they were revolutionary in at least several areas of gameplay, but Tiberian Sun and Firestorm set the standard for what a C&C game should be. Both sides have lots of different units and different tactics. And I'm talking about units that don't have silly capabilities like the Red Alert 3 SHRINK RAY. Tiberian Sun featured DYNAMIC terrain, a feature deleted from the later C&C engine. I remember well how effective the NOD artillery was at digging giant holes in the ground. Not just cratering that you see in the later engines that doesn't affect unit movements, I'm talking about the ground changing when struck by high powered weapons.

NOD also featured two underground vehicles: An APC and a flame tank. Something that's gone from future C&C games.

Another awesome feature of Tiberian Sun was the use of the Stealth Tank. Detecting stealth units was difficult - only one unit could cover a large area to reliably detect stealth units. In future C&C games, many units have stealth, but also almost every defensive building and many units have ability to discover stealth units - making stealth meaningless. Such was the case with stealth units in Generals.

Tiberian sun also had by far the best cinematics and voice acting of any game I have ever played:
James Earl - General Solomon
Michael Biehn - Commander McNeil
Frank Zagarino - Slavik
Joseph Cucan - Kane

The cutscenes look like well produced movies, not just some person talking to the always silent commander behind the screen:
CABAL:

Getting back to Generals:
All Generals was was a test of the in-dev engine. The cutscenes were rendered in game, the voice acting sucked, the number of units and tactics available was limited and the game was incorrectly balanced.

Chinese had insane ground offensive capabilities, US had the air force, but why bother with stealth Comanche, if they can be detected by the low tech GLA stinger site. :facepalm:

GLA was a nuisance when you wanted to destroy them. The stingers just caused enough damage to scratch your tanks, but no amount of GLA resistance could hold up to a serious ground assault.

GLA also had no special super powers in the beginning of the game. You couldn't do a Zerg rush with the GLA... They were just worthless.

The point defenses were a joke. Usually C&C featured a small ground turret and a large ground turret, as well as a SAM site. Generals crushed that into one turret and it was worthless in all three roles. GLA missiles and Patriots were only able to shoot air threats down after bombs were away and performed horribly against infantry. Chinese gun turrets were worthless against tanks and only excelled against infantry.

The generals powers were overpowered and there was no cap on number of super-weapons. You could basically build a large defense force, wait for enemies to attack so you could score points, then use the super powers and general's powers to wipe the enemy out. Where's the tactics and strategy in that?

Tiberian Sun style super-weapons were the best. The ion cannon would best be used against power plants, base defenses or unit concentrations just before your force rolled in. NOD's cluster missile was best used against power plants and concentrations of buildings, but if you waited for 2 chemical missiles, you stood a decent chance of destroying the Construction yard, weapons factory or a refinery - the three strongest buildings. You just couldn't destroy the enemy base with super weapons.

Red Alert 3 is an even bigger failure and so is Tiberium twilight. No more tiberium harvesting... it's like they ripped the backbone out of the game. Things really went downhill when EA took over Westwood studios.

Luke Skywalker

Rebel Alliance Hero
Reaction score
We have snipers (pathfinder for USA, and Jarmen Kell for GLA) to take out the personnel at the stinger sites, without those 3 they wouldn't be firing any missiles, that's why the GLA has anti-air quad cannons on backup for anti-air/anti-infantry.

Chinese gun turrets we built for anti-air/anti-infantry, not for tanks, they were to be used with the bunker that can either be occupied by 5 rocket soldiers for anti-armor.

GLA isn't worthless, they can expand quickly and build units quickly because of their cheap vehicles.

China's superior weakness is loads of rocket soldiers, especially from the US.
USA's air force is GLA's anti-air cannons, Quad Cannons are relatively cheap, you can build 4 quad cannons, upgrade them with AP bullets they could shred a american Crusader within sections.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can't compare an army per price. A low number of overpowered units usually do a lot better than a high number of cannon fodder. The Overlord, for example. Its ability to upgrade to gatling gun, bunker or speaker tower ensures that a pack of 10 to 20 Overlords will drive over anything the defense can throw at them. Such a pack is small enough to drive into the enemy base at once and not get stuck in traffic.

On the other side, you need hundreds of tanks to stop such a force and the problem with that is that you just don't have the space to get all of those hundred guns blazing at once. You can organize defense that will bottleneck and destroy such a force.

Now that you mention it, the GLA stingers did get killed by snipers and I used to exploit that. A Humvee or two packed with snipers took care of anything the GLA could throw at me.

Generals just can't compare to the Tiberian Sun style warfare. There were powerful units on each side, but nothing that couldn't be taken out. The Mammoth Mk.2 was limited to one on the battlefield and in a pack of other units usually did more harm than good. The Disruptor was powerful and well armored, but was slow and couldn't shoot at air threats and the bomber Orca was slow enough that several SAM sites could kill it before doing any or much damage.

NOD had the infamous artillery, which was excellent at offensive and defensive war, but was not well armored and could be taken out easily using an air unit. Not sure what the complaint against the artillery was. One-on-one it couldn't stand up against quite a few other units.

Another excellent feature of TS was the EMP cannon. It prevented you from going into the other base with a massive force without a well thought out attack plan.

As soon as EA took over Westwood studios, the quality of C&C games decreased dramatically.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No offense, but I did not like Tiberian Sun at all. Worst game of the series in my opinion. The in-game graphics took on an extremely campy and cartoony look, even worse than the previous games in the series. I downloaded it for free a year or so ago when EA was giving it and Red Alert away (think that promotion ended, but not sure). Played it for a bit to try and give it another chance, but my opinion didn't change. I just don't like the overall gameplay.

My favorite C&C games are, based on order of how much I enjoyed playing them,
1. Red Alert + Expansion
2. Generals + Expansion
3. Original C&C + Expansions

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

You can't compare an army per price. A low number of overpowered units usually do a lot better than a high number of cannon fodder. The Overlord, for example. Its ability to upgrade to gatling gun, bunker or speaker tower ensures that a pack of 10 to 20 Overlords will drive over anything the defense can throw at them. Such a pack is small enough to drive into the enemy base at once and not get stuck in traffic.

On the other side, you need hundreds of tanks to stop such a force and the problem with that is that you just don't have the space to get all of those hundred guns blazing at once. You can organize defense that will bottleneck and destroy such a force.

My thoughts - If your opponent is playing as US, 5 rocket soldiers in a Humvee with Tow Missile upgrade and an assault/repair drone can move quickly enough to take out several of your Overlords fairly quickly before they can maneuver to return fire. 5-10 Humvees configured this way are a steamroller against most ground enemies (GLA Stinger Site included), but weak vs. air support. Not invincible by any means, but they can do a significant amount of damage in a very short time and move away in a hurry.

Was playing at a LAN party a few years back. I crippled one of my opponents when I slipped a Humvee in to his base un-noticed, took out all of his power plants and several other structures before he smacked me down.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Gameplay of TS was pretty much the same as original C&C, Red Alert and RA2. If graphics is the only criteria by which you judge games, then you should play Red Alert 3. Vehicles look like they just rolled off the show room floor.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't judge games based on graphics alone. Most importantly, I just ask "do I find it fun to play, and do I feel it's worth my time?" But there are some instances where a game's graphics are distracting enough that they take away from the gameplay. That's how I felt about Tiberian Sun. Not meant as a slam against the game in any way, I was just very put off by the whole look and (gameplay) feel of it. It just felt to me as if they were trying to 'keep up with the Joneses' (Starcraft). I know that the consensus about this game is that it is one of the best of all time, and that's fine. It's just not one that I ever enjoyed.

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
The game is not dead, and various MODs continue to be regularly released!

But just as the saying goes, he who sows the wind, reaps the whirlwind, and nearly 15 years later, little GLA (players) have now joined the ranks of ISIS terrorists.

:crystalball2: :mad:

Probably the closest real life video to the C&C real-time strategy game

Oct-19-2015

WEB_CHEMIN_12848_1360622244.jpg

neuesbildapahelixusw.jpg

WEB_CHEMIN_12911_1361832188.jpg

WEB_CHEMIN_12489_1345309775.jpg

Dramatic Russian drone footage of the scene of clashes between the Syrian Army and the islamic terrorists

1439456528_1970144918.jpg

2017 Update:

GLA_Technical_GLAT2.jpg

Look at these car bombers, a product of the game!!!

smileys-car-driving-896549.gif

Devastating Effect of Car Bombs Filmed From A Drone Mosul

Published on Jan 4, 2017

A new volley of footage has been released of VBIEDs hitting Iraqi Army positions in Eastern Mosul, from a new longer 40-minute video released on January 3, 2017.

Video:

Last edited: